Auto shipping company recommendation

Matt

Low Mileage
Can anybody recommend an auto shipping company? I am contemplating buying an X1/9 in CA and having it shipped to MD.
Thanks

Too risky with uShip...

don't want to throw you to the wolves. I've had very good luck but like Papa Tony must live a charmed one :)

Google uShip scams...some very sad stories out there :eek:

Last edited:
A few things to understand about shipping. Chances are you will use a broker. You probably won't even know you are using a broker--but you are. Type in multiple free car shipping quotes into google. You get to a site or two that will e-mail you 7 or 10 shipping quotes. These are all from brokers--which is fine. You want the one with the lowest deposit--as that is the amount the broker will earn. So--if you get one quote for $750 that includes $150 deposit and another quote for $775 with a $125 deposit--you want to choose the second one because the driver of the truck will be getting $650 in his pocket instead of $600 and the chances of your X getting picked up sooner are much greater. Does that make sense???

Also--never sign up with a company that requires a deposit before the vehicle is picked up.

Also--when you get multiple quotes and one or two quotes is is $250 less than the competition--ignore it--chances are your car will never get picked up. Those people will call you back 2 week after you book and try to get you pay more money to get your car picked up. They still earn the same broker fee--they are just tilting the table so they get your business--you loose out on the 2 weeks.

Consider yourself edu-ma-cated!

Eric

Many of you would know Ed from his Caribou days. I have never shipped with Ed, but he does know Fiats.

He does not, however, know customer service. I would suggest staying away. Go through the Miri archives to see how many people were not happy with Caribou.

///Mike

If you request quotes, consider setting up an email account just for that and ditching it after, or you'll be getting shipping quotes YEARS later!

I would recommend Capital Auto Transport

They shipped my Jag XJ6 from Chico CA (an out of the way location)to Colo Spgs. They are a broker (like most). Great customer service. Deposit is paid once your car is loaded on the truck. They sent me a full review printout of the transporter they contracted with. The transporter I got was Buster Transport. Driver was a great guy. He uses a Dodge 4500 pulling a four car trailer. You can check out Capital Auto Transport (or any other companies) on TransportReviews.com Good luck.

Link to a few recommended shippers

http://www.forzamotorsports.com/exotic-car-transport.htm
Forza Motorsports is near the CT, NY border. The proprieter, Peter Sweeney is a straightforward guy and has been in the business since the 1980's. He has a few recommendations on his web site.
Car shipping, if its anything like household moving, has a number of less than honest operators since the demise of the ICC. Be careful.

Back