AutoX #2!

JimMW

autoxer
In about 15 minutes I'm headed out the door for our second auto cross with the X. Unfortunately it's rainy and WET here today, so it'll make for an interesting day sliding around (and hopefully not over) the cones.

My dad and I collectively were able to put a lot of miles on our X over the last month and can say with 99% certainty that the previous issues we were having with it have been resolved. We also put four cut rear springs on it, per some advice that Steve Hoelscher so kindly shared with me.

The car is still a work in progress, but today should be a lot more fun and successful than last time. I'll update later with how we did and hopefully some pictures and video.

Wish us luck!

I am

so jealous .I'm the biggest autox nut in Chicago that is a Fiat owner oh wait I'm the only fiat owner that does autox in Chicago. Have fun post results as soon as possible.

Good luck Jim!

and to your Dad too!! ;)

Hopefully the weather will ease up a bit for you. Have fun.

Went well

Thanks guys!

Just got home... Everything went well today. Rain actually dropped to only a light drizzle in the morning, then to practically nothing at all till the event started. It was still slick through the first heat, when my old man ran, and through my first run or two in the second heat, but it started drying up then and traction improved.

The car ran great and cornered much better with far less roll. I finished a full second faster than him, which I'm sure he'll blame on the rain :wink2:, though I was noticeably more agressive than him which is the true difference (in my mind, haha). No one else from our class had ran yet, so I don't know how we'll stack up against them. It'll take a few days till the final results are posted online. I'm not counting on being a top finisher.

I did take some videos, I'll post or link to one later this evening when I get em off the camera.

Couple pics and video

Here's a video of my best run:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuy86A7Ncyk"]video[/ame]
I apologize for the poor quality and lack of width. With the camera mount I have I'm having trouble finding a good way of doing it, any other way isn't high enough that it shows the front of the car, so you can't tell what's going on. I think I might try mounting it from the rear window next time.

At 0:53 you can see and hear me hit a cone. Amazingly enough it didn't go over though, so no penalty.

Just two pics:
My dad shot this with his cell while I was rounding a corner. A lot less lean than the old springs...
4553136934_2c332baa45_b.jpg

And one I shot while he was waiting in line for Tech. It looks a little out of place surrounded by the more modern machines.
4552498955_d390ab99f6_b.jpg

Actually Jim... the others look outta place...

... compared to YOURS!

I'm sure you will continue to improve... great work and thanks for sharing!

Back