Aux Air Valve stays open

rturchan

Baja Bob
The Aux Air Valve stays open on my X. I tested the connector and there is no power to the terminals. The FI guide ( seattle X19.org) says to replace the "relay set". Has anyone ever had this relay go bad?
Bob T.

Yes...

Yes, the relay can go bad... but keep in mind the engine heat will also close the valve. Should anyway.

Or, you can wire it up to the coil or other keyed power source.

You may want to remove the valve (PITA) and test, clean and test again. It should be wide open at operating temp and nearly closed when it's been in the freezer for a while.

Actually

It's supposed to be closed at normal engine operating temp, and open when cold so the motor has extra air for cold starting. Staying open when hot will give too high of an idle speed.
Rolf.

The manual says to check the wiring ....

The manual says to check wiring, and if it is OK, then to replace the relay. What is the chance that the wires are NG? I ask since a continuity check of wires will be a PITA, changing a relay is faster. 1 Do I take the time to check the wires?
Second item, the wiring diagram shows what appears to be a switch ( part of the relay) and a fuse to the ignition switch. It looks like the fuel pump is on the same Circuit.
2 If this is the case does that mean it must be the wiring (since the car runs, so the pump is running) ??
3 Does anyone know where this fuse is located?
Diagram:
profile0002.jpg

Thanks again,
Bob T.
ps it is 77 degrees and sunny, so I am going to take a little drive. I feel sorry for you guys up north.

put 12v across the aux valve

Disconnect the connector to it, jumper 12v to it - see if it closes on it's own. If it doesn't, the valve is bad. If it does - the problem is upstream, like the relay.

Chris

Fuse Location

The fuse for the early models (80-85?) is located above the fuse board in a green (if I remember right) single fuse holder. With the later style fuses (blade type) the fuse is in the board itself.

Most likely your problem with the valve is that it is stuck open, ie frozen with carbon. You might try cleaning the valve out. You also might want to make sure that the cyclonic trap hose with the wire flame trap in it is not plugged possibly increasing the carbon build up or adversely affecting the crankcase breathing.
Rolf.

The Valve is stuck but there is no power also,

The valve partially closes on a warm engine, but I have verified that there is no power to the valve either. The valve therefore takes a long time to only partially close. Both systems failed. The valve is a simple item, the power issue still not resolved. Do I need a relay or is there a wiring issue. I think the electrical diagram shows that the relay also powers the Fuel pump. Perhaps someone can confirm this for me. ??????
Thanks,
Bob T.

Back