Axle stands

Martygf

Daily Driver
Hi there fellow X1/9 lovers. I am in the process of restoring a 89 GF I have just bought after a break away from X1/9's for 23 years in the UK. Two questions - where should I place axle stands after jacking up the car at the front or back? Second - the car was previously worked on by the last owner and I have the two wires dangling labelled thermo housing. However I cannot see anywhere to connect them on the housing! What exactly does this control? Any advice appreciated thanks.

Marty...Congrats on your new car and...

... welcome to the dark side...

As for the Jack Stands... they can be placed a the side jack points or under the suspension and three or four can be used...

BUT... what I PREFER is placing them at all four "hardpoints" at each end of the rocker panels. Look under there and you will see them...

This then gives you the ability to remove everything and anything under the car and provides the STABLE-EST of platforms. I found no problem in getting in and standing an even starting the car and going through the gears!

Go here and download and PRINT this Bertone Schematic for future use...

http://www.lemley.net/electric/bertone_schematic/

Go to page 8 to start with...

The P/O actually LABELED some wiring... You should thank him... that's unheard of. I haven't studied the schematic or do I know the color codes of the wires you mention... but the term "thermo-housing" would mean to me the "thermostat housing"... probably for a temperature sensor.

Since you need to know... I'll let you study the drawing and come back to us. Do let me know if you need some help.

There are mounting points Bertone used during construction of the body shell. Two in the rear are just forward of the rear wheel, by the lower rocker panels. The fronts are behind the front wheel between the mid-line of the car and wheel. Do a search on this as there should be images of these mounting/jack stand points.

Curious, after all these years, what got you back into an x1/9?

And, welcome to the X family...

Bernice

Hi there fellow X1/9 lovers. I am in the process of restoring a 89 GF I have just bought after a break away from X1/9's for 23 years in the UK. Two questions - where should I place axle stands after jacking up the car at the front or back? Second - the car was previously worked on by the last owner and I have the two wires dangling labelled thermo housing. However I cannot see anywhere to connect them on the housing! What exactly does this control? Any advice appreciated thanks.

Thanks Black-Tooth for your help. Will be having a look first thing in the morning here to try and work this one out as i have a temperature sensor in the engine block. Both wires are red which is a little odd - will keep you informed.

Thanks for the reply Rupunzell - i will give it a try. As regards to me getting back into an X1/9 - i have always loved everything about the car even though they are not perfect - i have 4 kids and drive a large car and wanted to work on a project for my own sanity! Boy am i enjoying trying to get it roadworthy!
Regards

Welcome back to the world of insanity...

Hi Marty,
Being a UK spec car (carb model) those wires would usually be connected to a temperature sensor for the carb cooling fan (to prevent fuel vaporization)

I've removed my cooling fan as it's pretty much useless in the climate that we have, also if you install an aftermarket (K&N etc) filter housing the heat will dissipate naturally. There will also be a relay in the spare tire well for this which the P/O may or may not have unplugged

Gimme a shout if you need any parts (I've got a shed full from the last 3 cars i've owned)

Cheers

Roll on X1/9

Thanks for the reply and offer Neo - willbear you in mind as i progress. I have hopefully attached a photo of the cooling fan. The two wires labelled thermo housing are on the left and one goes to the coil and the other is cut and goes nowhere. The large guage red wire on the right i cannot work out what it is for - any ideas?
Currently getting car ready for MOT which has not had for 9 years and only believe i have the emmissions to sort out with the carb which will be fun as i am now fabricating a custom exhaust and fitting a chrome pancake filter.
Regards
Martyn

Back