Back in the saddle again....

Pete Whitstone

True Classic
Well it's been a good dozen years or so since I regularly drove an X on the street (my Scorpion has been doing good filler duty though), but I'm glad to say that I am at it again. I took delivery of Eric's (OregonMTB's) dark red X this past Saturday, and have spent the past 5-6 days getting it insured, inspected and registered.

I also took it by a couple body shops to get an estimate - it was damaged during shipping. :sigh:

That aside, I am remembering why I love these cars so much! Working on them is easy, and driving them is a blast.

I have done a bunch of work since I got it, and am sure will do a bunch more in the weeks to come. Ultimately I will have fun with it for the summer, then ship it to Madd Matt for the K20 conversion. It will then be my daily driver.

I haven't taken any pictures of it myself yet, but here is a link to an ebay auction of the car:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...5675&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT#v4-36

Pete

Very nice choice. Its a great looking car.

Sorry to hear it was damaged. Hope things work out.

Sorry to hear that Pete

Damaged during shipping? What kind of damage? And why can't I get that scene from "Ferris Beuhler's Day Off" out of my head.? ;)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wP7GQmvN5pM"]YouTube- Todo en un día - escena del Ferrari[/ame]

Tell me more about Mad Matt and his K20 swap, is it something he does regularly? What does he charge?

It wasn't too bad...

It's on the b-pillar above the vent, just below the targa top. An area about 1x5" where the paint was scraped off and the metal a little dinged up.

According to the truck driver, he had to lock up the brakes, and one of those roller things they use to move the cars around on the carrier came loose and slid past it. He says a pin busted, but I'm thinking it's a lot more likely he just forgot to properly secure it.

Body shop estimate started at $630 or so, then they saw I was a repeat customer and worked it down to $450 or so. I noticed they had items on there for removing certain pieces (like the targa bar vent) that added up to 3 hours. I told them I would bring the car in with those pieces already removed, and they knocked it down to $338. I got $300 from the driver for the damage, so I guess I'm not out too much.

Pete

It's documented around here somewhere...

Tell me more about Mad Matt and his K20 swap, is it something he does regularly? What does he charge?

I bet JimD could whip up the link for you in no time.

As for what he charges, I'm not sure that's public information so you better ask him yourself. :angel: Let me put it this way, you better really want it done. :grin:

Pete

Looks like a nice example....

.....has the same driver's floor mat wear as mine!

I bought new carpet from Bayless for mine :D

I bet JimD could whip up the link for you in no time.

As for what he charges, I'm not sure that's public information so you better ask him yourself. :angel: Let me put it this way, you better really want it done. :grin:

Pete
Oh trust me the figure is definitely out of my ball park, I was just curious to see what people are paying for it.

Very cool Pete and CONGRATS!!!

I have never been brave enough yet to ask Matt the cost for the swap...

Maybe someday and I am all for more power but in my heart of hearts I feel that the I will be punished somehow for putting a Japanese powerplant in my Italian machine :devil:

Congrats on your new baby, Pete... but...

... what I don't understand is why the shipper doesn't pay for the entire amount, whether it be $300 or $3000!

Don't tell me the shipper has no insurance!

Well, we both agreed...

... what I don't understand is why the shipper doesn't pay for the entire amount, whether it be $300 or $3000!

Don't tell me the shipper has no insurance!

That we would rather handle it as a cash deal, just take the money out of the shipping fees (yes he has insurance but a $1k deductible). So we had to settle on a price, so we came up with $300 and if it cost more than that, he said he would send me the difference.

Maybe he's a man of his word and maybe he's not, I'll send the bill for the extra $38 to him. But I guess my point is, I'm not banking on that money (betting on human nature is generally a bad idea IMO) so I wanted to get it as close to $300 as possible to limit my exposure.

I honestly didn't think the repair would eat up all the $300. We had the entire nose of my wifes Mitsu torn up, replaced and repainted for about $700 so I figured $300 for this would cover it. I guess not...

Pete

In any case Pete... Sorry it happened...

Like the NOSE of the Mitzu...this spot is RIGHT in your line of sight, so it will need to be done right. Frankly, I don't know where I would start and stop the repair in this area.

Painting the entire NOSE of this car woulda been much easier with seams on all sides!

Back