Ball joint question

Eastep

True Classic
Not really Fiat related but general workshop type question/content.

So the '85 Rabbit needs tie rod ends and suspension :doh: I've found a "complete" tie rod assemblies (inner & outer) for $25 ea shipped :thumbsup: My question is: Do the ball joints need replaced as well at this time or are they part of the tie rod assembly? If they are not, do I need the entire tie rod assembly or just the tie rod ends, as the rods aren't bent? Thanks

Mike... Since I have no fotos to look at...

and I really know nothing about VW's since 1968... I can only speak off the top of my head.

Ball joints are usually NOT considered part of the tie-rods, but some, or most tie-rods have "ball-joints" on their ends.

Ball Joints are usually considered as the swivel attaching points where the Spindle attaches to the Upper and/or Lower Control arms. (On our X's for example, in the rear, we only have LOWER control arms with ONE ball joint per side.)

Complete tie rod assemblies are usually sold in place of just the tie-rod ends for ease of assembly... and also in the event other moving aspects of it may be worn. You said:

"So the '85 Rabbit needs tie rod ends and suspension"... and by suspension, that could mean lots of things, including the Ball Joints, springs, struts and bushings.

So who was it that determined your "needs"? Maybe you should ask him/her to be a bit more specific and SHOW you where the problems are BEFORE you order parts that may solve all, some, or none of your problems.

HTH...

Thanks Tony. I am the one who assessed the car. It needs springs n struts, which have been ordered. I jacked the car up and could actually see the "play" in the tie-rod ends when manually inspecting them for wear via the "3 & 9 and 12 & 6' method. I was curious if I should just go ahead and replace the entire assembly at $25 ea or ends at $25 pair. How can I check if the inner are bad? The outer are shot! As for ball joints; I have know idea. Same with the strut mounts; I cant really tell the condition of them (I'll probably replace these as well) The CV's are popping so to save time and hassle I was planning to just get new axles. Idk who had the car before me but it seems that most of the suspension and steering components are kinda crap and I wanna fix that so my wife doesn't die on the interstate.

The ball joints at the base of the strut/bearing carrier can be replaced at any time, independent of the tie rods. I would do both at the same time as you will want an alignment after the install.

On a VW I would go with the complete assembly and consider replacing the rubber boots at the same time. On my 85 Golf and my 92 Passat, these seem to have a 80k life span in my experience.

To check if the inners are bad:
Get a helper.
Turn the wheel all the way to the right then go to the left side of the car. Grasp the inner rubber boot around the outside of the tie rod as it enters the inner joint.
Have the helper rock the wheel slightly left right.
If the inner joint is bad you will be able to feel relative motion of the rod to the inner joint between your fingers.

This method of checking will work with any car that uses a ball and socket type joint versus a Cardan type joint.

Back