Battery discussion and general info

One of the best features of an AGM battery is that they don't spill battery acid all over like the flooded batteries do. I think the extra cost of an AGM battery is worth it for many reasons, but that alone is enough for me.

Curious, was that also an Exide?

It was not - but it was a store brand "Spiral Cell" battery. Very similar to Optima, but not quite. We have a store here called "Canadian Tire" and their top tier store brand was the Eliminator battery. It was quite good.

What sold me is that they're sealed - no leaks. I've had leaks before, either due to very hard cornering on the track, or overcharging issue from my alternator. There should be no risk of leakage from an AGM (not sure about overcharging, as it does have a vent)

Funny you mention Bosch - I wanted a Bosch AGM, but hard to find here in Canada. I called Bosch, and they told me that they're made by Exide! Sure enough, I called Exide - and yep - they were made by Exide for Bosch (the blue top ones). The cases are identical, just a different label.

For my other vintage car, I just bought a flooded battery. But interestingly, the price difference between an AGM and flooded isn't huge - at least not in Canada.

they were made by Exide for Bosch
I'm not sure if it was in the discussion on the other forum, or if we already said it here. But most batteries worldwide are made by one of a very small number of manufacturers. So most battery brands are actually made by other companies. Not that they are all equal; the makers offer various levels of products. But they come from the same factory.

Back