Bearing removal tool and wheel bearing didfferences between 79' and 86'

DuaneEstill

Banned User
I recently ordered a set of bearings from Matt and bought the 'bearing retainer' tool, which is an octagonal, about an inch thick, piece of metal with a 3/4 inch square cut out in the middle.

Any particulars about how this tool will function? I did the bearings on the 86 several years ago but had no such tool at my disposal, so I'm curious. I'm also wondering about the differences in changing out a 79' as opposed to an 86 as that will be happening here soon.

I am in the process of replacing my 1976 model 128 wheel bearings and can answer this question (my front bearings are similar to your X 1/9 wheel bearings.) The special bearing tool fits onto notches on the inside of the bearing retainer lock ring - a brass ring that threads into the hub, holding the wheel bearing in place. These lock rings are designed as non-reusable parts...meaning they should be replaced when the bearing is changed. Mine, unfortunately, had been reused. I used a 1/2 inch impact and was able to get one out. The other was too badly rounded off. I ended up having to chisel it out. Luckily, the threads on the hub were only a little buggered and I was able to clean them up. So I would suggest using an impact, rather than a breaker bar, to remove the lock ring. Hopefully, the previous owner was kind and left you with new ones.

Also, if your x 1/9 has metal dust shields on the in-board side of the hub (the side you will need to press the bearing out from,) be very careful prying these out. Although I would consider these to be replaceable parts, they are apparently no longer available. I was able to salvage one, but had to buy a second one used. Very strange, as bearings, seals, etc are still available. Maybe the X doesn't use these?

Good luck.

All 1500's should be the same.

1300's have a smaller bearing, so also a smaller retainer. The 128 uses the same bearing as the 1300 X.

Back