BELT TENSIONER QUESTION

artz1731

True Classic
Just ordered new tensioner bearing. My question is do i have to remove the the tensioner braket to get the old bearing off or will it come off when i remove the nut that holds the bearing on?

Last edited:
No need to remove the bracket

Just ordered new tensioner bearing. My question is do i have to remove the the tensioner braket to get the old bearing off or will it come off when i remove the bolt that goes through the bearing.

No need to remove the bracket, but it's not a bad idea to take it off and clean it while you're in there. That's not a bolt that holds it, it's a nut on the end of a stud, and once the nut is off the bracket just lifts off the front of the motor.

Pay attention to the placement of the washer/spacer thingie under the nut as you take it off.

Hi Artz

Just ordered new tensioner bearing. My question is do i have to remove the the tensioner bracket to get the old bearing off or will it come off when i remove the nut that holds the bearing on?

The mount is held on by the same nut you are removing to loosen the tensioner. Once you remove the tensioner nut and timing belt, you can pull back the tensioner spring to release the tension on the bracket and the bracket+bearing can be easily pulled off the mount together.

You may need to pull the old bearing off the bracket and press on the new bearing. I swapped the whole unit last time I did it, so I didn't pay attention to that detail. I can tell you that the bearing didn't just fall off the bracket, so be prepared. :)

BTW.. what year X are we talking about? If it is a 74 to early 78 you need to take care when changing the t-belt. The early engines were interference and the valves and piston tops can get together if the cam an crank shafts are moved independently. That would be bad.

Thanks for the info,it's an 80 X. I have a spare engine so maybe ill pull the bracket off of it and mount the new bearing on it before i start removing the old one. The timing belt only has 1500 miles on it so i was thinking i would try to replace the bearing without removing the t-belt. Sounds crazy,ill see how it goes,i know i need to be sure not to move any sprockets.

Back