Bertone Article..

Rupunzell

Bernice Loui
In the March 2011 issue of Automobile. This is the first time I have seen this quoted in any US Media about the exxe, "1972, The FIAT x1/9 was a Bertone Tour de force carried through to production despite enormous resistance from FIAT engineers, who did not have Nuccio's dedicated enthusiasm."

There is a remote possibility that the auto media in the US is starting to comprehend that the x1/9 was a Bertone idea, design and production car and a lot less FIAT.

bertonepg1.jpg

bertonepg2.jpg

bertonepg3.jpg

bertonepg4.jpg

bertonepg5.jpg

bertonepg6.jpg

bertonepg7.jpg

Bernice

Lots of reading and interest

Quite a tribute to the Bertone house.
Thanks Bernice, interesting as ever.
Q: A March 2011 issue at the beginning of February ?

Enjoy -

The support for the X1/9 with Fiat.

Winston Goodfellow's "Italian Sports Cars," which features a forward by Sergio PIninfarina, and direct quotes from many lumniaries in the Italian auto industry, mentions nothing about resistance from the engineers.

In fact, Gianni Agnelli was personally supportive of the project, but not initially. I've never read anything about the resistance of engineers until this. I'll dig up some other sources and see about this.

Thanks for posting this. I read the article a few days ago and was surprised to see the x called a "tour deforce".

The x has all the hallmarks of an entry level collector car. Famous designer, technically interesting, too name just a few. Plus it can actually be driven without braking the bank on maintenance.

What did they mean by tour deforce

What, you don't own an X??? ;)

I took it to mean that the X had everything Bertone could put into it: emotion, concept, styling, innovation, engineering, and production. Even for 2011, it's still a remarkably modern vehicle. Makes it's stable mate at Fiat, the 124 Spider, look quite antique by comparison.

I am often surprised at how people are amazed when I stow the top in the trunk. When I show off other "just so" qualities of the car, there is even more amazement that a simple appliance like a car can have so much inginuity and thoughtfulness built in to it. You mean all cars aren't this well considered??? :shock2:

John O.

Hey John... ever shop for a small boat...

Generally speaking... small craft, especially small sailcraft less than 30 feet... make every inch of space count, every nook and cranny has a purpose, and they seem to wreak with efficiency.

Now look at something in the 40 to 50 foot range on up and they seem to do the exact opposite!

I would guess that most of us here tend to gravitate towards the cleverness we see in these smaller "craft"...

Generally speaking... small craft, especially small sailcraft less than 30 feet... make every inch of space count, every nook and cranny has a purpose, and they seem to wreak with efficiency.

Now look at something in the 40 to 50 foot range on up and they seem to do the exact opposite!

I would guess that most of us here tend to gravitate towards the cleverness we see in these smaller "craft"...

Well said Tony.

Yeah Herzel, most magazines, especially those...

folks that have subscriptions to them, get them 2 months ahead of the newsstands (or bookstores)... or so they are marked!

Several times I found newsstands have had the latest edition BEFORE I got mine in the mail... which kinda upset me... HA!

Another phenomenon of late for the industry is to have TWO different covers, one for the subscriber and one for the newstands. Makes those with anal tendencies to have them all go nuts!

Great read Bernice...

(I can't believe the number of typos and grammar issues though. Kinda like it was translated and then not proof read.)

But I enjoyed the article immensely. Thanks for posting!

Back