Best lubricating/part loosening oil for an X1/9

Jim McKenzie

1972 850 Spider
Title isn't really all that good, what I ma talking about is basically an upgrade to LW, or Liquid Wrench....something you use to loosen parts that have rusted, or just won't come apart....think nuts and bolts.

I had such a problem with several areas on my Fiat 850, all of which laughed at the Liquid Wrench product, and so I did an exensive search on the "best" thing to use.

I saw Toyopreen, which is apparently only available at Toyota dealerships in their service department, Mouse Mousse (?) which apparently is a gel and Kanos Lab's spray on product Kroil. It's available here: http://www.kanolabs.com/

I used it and got off a bumper that was solidly rusted on (bolt/nut) and was able to pull my steering wheel (which would NOT come off with LW and a rubber hammmer. 10 minutes soak with the Kroil and it came off easily...just by pulling, and with little effort.

Anyway, the stuff is cheap, (there was a promotion of buy one get one too) and although you can only get it via the internet, the stuff worked great. I just wanted to pass it along.

I'll second the recommendation for Kroil. I have used it for years. It has performed miracles for me especially when I let it soak for an extended period of time. Even works on the head studs. Here is what I do. Take the nuts and washers off the head studs, spray Kroil around the studs everyday for about a week, then lift head off. Easy as that.

I'm sure many...

...are already familiar with this stuff, but I'll put in a vote for PB Blaster... always has worked great for me, and much better than Liquid Wrench.

PB Blaster is good stuff

... but now I'm confused. How can you be posting to this forum if you don't know about it? Someone told me that everyone was required to take a bath in the stuff before they were allowed to post! He wouldn't have been putting me on, would he?

(BTW, it took five cans and I had to sleep in the garage for a week)

vote for kroil

I have also seen folks heating said stuck object with propane torch then spraying wd-40 on the hot stuck object and bingo itsa loose.:confuse2:

I second the Kroil. Our guys talked me into letting them buy it years ago for many applications on the shop floor, and nobody ever had a bad thing to say about it. I've been buying it and bathing in it myself for some time now. Kano also makes some other nifty products, and I think I have them all in my little fireproof cubby. They have a penetrating graphite that's da bomb.

Second phase, if you have air: Stick a socket on your air wrench and hit the bolt with it. BUT, turn the torque way down so you're not actually loosening the bolt, you're just rat-a-tat-tating and vibrating the heck out of it. With the torque cut down, you can safely hit it 'on' and 'off' for maximum effect. Combined with Kroil, this has a 100% success rate for me. I hate the idea of using heat because I've been around improperly heat-treated fasteners too often.

Back