bleed cooling system

Factory bleed procedure...

UntitledImage.jpg

Bleeding coolant replacement

How much coolant would one expect to need after radiator replacement with remaining coolant still in the block?

3.05 gallons total

The system in a 1980 1500cc holds 3.05 gallons total. Figure most of that is in the radiator, hoses and under car tubing.

In short, I can't give you a direct answer on how much is left in the block. Sorry. :)

Bleeding the cooling system

There's a bleeder at the top of the radiator, reachable from the front of the trunk at the left-hand side, all the way up in front under the nose.

Here's how I do it:

Park the car on level ground, cold.

Remove the expansion tank cap. Top it up to at least 3/4 full if it's low.

Now, while cap is still off, open the bleeder in the front trunk with an 8mm hex key. Just slack it a bit so that air and then water comes out (it's lower than the level of the tank, so you'll get water eventually).

When just water is flowing, close the bleeder, top up the tank and put the cap back on, and drive. You may have to repeat a few times to get all the air out; there's lots of places for it to hide. At some point, try running the heater at high revs; there's going to a big bubble of air in the heater circuit that you need to force out.

quick highjack here

I have a VW radiator with no bleed screw on the radiator, what is the best way to bleed my system? Install a bleed screw in the upper part of the radiator?

Thanks

Chris

I would guess raise the rear of the car and run with expansion tank cap off and heater open and repeat every few days for 3 cycles. But I don't know for sure.

You could loosen the upper radiator hose and stick a bent screwdriver between the hose and radiator hose barb so that air can escape. Just pull out the screwdriver and tighten the clamp when coolant starts running out.

Also, there is a bleeder on the t-stat housing (at least on my car). Filling the system with both bleeders open has always been fool proof for me without ever raising the rear of the car.

Back