blinker question

lappy

Daily Driver
Ok, so I've done the brown wire mod, put in the relays for the headlights and wipers - all work really well, BUT, the bloody blinkers are hopeless. Any time the blinker is on and you put the foot on the brakes ie tail lights on, the blinker slows right down , and with the heater fan on they almost stop....................:wall: Anybody have any ideas? Bob Brown maybe?????
Lappy

Check grounding

It's possible the grounding point for the tail light assemblies at the back of the car is poor. Clean them up and see how it is.

thanks steve , but it is a new rebuild - all earths to shinny new metal..............all lights are bright and work fine - its just the speed of the blinker slows way down!

Flasher tip

I would suggest replacing your flasher relay (likely a thermal type) with an electronic one. The thermal ones wear out, and they depend on voltage going through them to warm up and flash the lights. The electronic ones are largely solid-state and not affected by small voltage changes.

The tailights ground at their mounting bolts, and these grounds can easily become a resistance point. Clean, tighten using new star washers. If your trunk is damp, use a grease or oil (even WD-40) on them to keep moisture out of the joint.

The brake lights and turn signals are powered via the orange "key on" wire, which must draw through the ignition switch. Make sure the connections there are low-resistance as well. Lastly, clean and tighten the bulb sockets themselves. New bulbs can have better connections especially at the "tip".

As Greg Smith suggests

plus, make sure the connections on your steering column switches are of good integrity. Especially the connection that goes to your key switch. If the connector is burnt-looking, repair or replace as necessary.

If you notice a substantial load on your system after replacing the blinker (to electronic) let us know
and we'll take this to the next step.

Question: Did you double-up on the brown wire from your battery to the fuse block?
(or did you run and splice the wire to your key switch connector?)

Lemme know...

Thanks guys, already run the electronis blinker can, brown wire is to the ignition switch. Will let you know the results after further investigation
Lappy

OK Lappy... here are a few ideas...

I think the problem is a LOAD, not the blinkers or circuitry...

1. Place a voltmeter on the battery and diaplay it thru the windshield. Step on the brake and watch it DIP... I bet!

2. Remove the stop light bulbs and do the same. If no dip, replace one of the bulbs, note dip, try the other... determine which or both are loading circuit.

3. If it dips with bulbs out of the circuit... the problem is in the wiring. Start lifitn the wiring... even CUTTING it to divide and conquer if necessary until the dip goes away. Could be a PINCHED wire also...

Let us know what ya find...

Back