BMW 1 series

Janis

True Classic
Had to change my daily car because it wasn't reasonable to spend money on service. Sold it, added same amount that would have to spend on service and got another little fun car.

Am sharing it here because I believe that a lot of you would love this car. If have ever considered - try it :)

Got one with a suspension already done. One of the weakest engines that was available in coupe version - 105kW diesel, but still nimble, fun and meantime great gas mileage.

IMG_5954.jpeg
IMG_5957.jpeg
IMG_5959.jpeg

Long story short :D
I do not want to get back again into project cars..

What would you do?

Small pieces of timing chain's plastic guides most likely got into engine.
Oil pressure got too low before oil pressure sensor. But maybe after crankshaft as it's pulley's seal started to leak oil, and turbo's flexi pipe also started to leak. If crankshaft is dead then this engine is not worth to get repaired.

If this engine is still repairable would do that of course. Engine by itself is worth ~1k in unknown condition with chains that must be replaced.

Another option would be to buy a petrol hatchback donor car for ~1.8k, and swap all that is needed. ( Found on one forum that some 22 years old did that in his garage within a month, not sure did he do that on evenings or like full time job.

With petrol engine I would get rid of all future diesel's problems.

*I would like to keep this car till it's reasoneble enought to maintain, overall it's a good car. Also I knew that chains and guides must be changed before buying but not on the first week :D

That really sucks. Especially right after buying the car. :(

Is there a known history with a lot of other examples (same engine) experiencing the same issue and what the outcome typically is (for the usual resulting damage)? If not it seems best to tear down enough of the engine to inspect the bearings, journals, and cylinders. If the oil pan can be removed with the engine still in the car then that may not be too difficult to do. Once you see the condition of everything then you can decide if it is worth fixing.

BMW used to offer a exchange program to get a factory rebuilt unit. And the prices were surprisingly good (for BMW). I don't know if they still do that. And you would have to send them your old engine.

I remember you have fairly strict inspection laws there. How would it work doing a engine swap from diesel to gasoline?

Try to find a 3,5l petrol engine and make it a 135i rocket and have fun. Avoid the weak 4-cyl engines, they can be found almost for free. -For a reason.

Yes, this is very popular N47 engine, with not the best reputation.

Took all necessary anchillaries out today ~4h job. will try to take engine out tomorrow and see is it still saveable.
I would have to take it out no matter which way I go.

Recall for this engine has ended up in ~2015. Legally I can swap anything in that has come in this body e82 from factory.

I wouldn't mind 3.5 :) but then I also need to upgrade brakes and my salary :D

Same as you say Bjorn, said another owner of 120d yesterday, (which I considered as donor)- to avoid 4cyl N46 engines petrol, more husttle than with these diesels.

IMG_6361.png

Back