Bob G. radiator installation today...

budgetzagato

Administrator
Today I finally installed my Bob Grasch all-aluminum radiator. First I pulled the front end onto metal ramps and nervously drained the coolant from the system via the drains in the metal undercar pipes, just like an X1/9. No problems there, very convenient.

Then moved to the rear where I drained (and caught) more coolant. Mostly so I could change the thermostat which was opening early and making the car run cool around town. Removed one hose to clean some overspray from some painting I did on an engine bay panel.

Then back at the front, I started swapping parts over. Fans and brackets, came off easily since this radiator was swapped in just a couple of years ago. Hoses were in good shape so I swapped them over and will save my new ones for when needed. Clamps are all new SS.
IMG_20140406_170638650_zps48fb3f1c.jpg

The new radiator is about 8 lbs. lighter and I felt it pressing it into place above my head while laying on my back. After a bit of fiddling getting it lined up left to right it slipped into place. It was easier to install this one than the last one. Adjusted brackets and hoses and plugged the fans (A/C. car) back in.
IMG_20140406_172120921_zps5e257065.jpg

Here's a view from above, the bleed bolt lines up well. Nerd Alert! I polished it, it's brass.
IMG_20140406_172814063_zps967abcd8.jpg

As seen through the grill:
IMG_20140406_172212689_zpsf536ea2e.jpg

All in all it was a flawless installation with a very good product. Took a fair bit of work with my trusty assistant Hazel to rev the engine while I added coolant, seemed to require more than came out. Interesting smells as it warmed up. After much bleeding of air at the radiator, I let it cool and added more coolant to the pressure tank. A test drive this evening showed a brisk warmup, and then steady 190ºF temps. Fans kicked in just above 190. A freeway drive will follow later. Very happy!

Back