Booty Call

Dan Sarandrea (Phila)

Waitin' On Parts...
I want to replace the little rubber booties that cover the caliper-end of the hand brake cables.

IMG_1510-1.jpg

How the heck do I get the booties onto the end? The smallest inner diameter of the booty is significantly smaller than the end washers on the cable.

Ripped That Booty

No cigar on this one, heated:rolleyes: and stretched:excited: and lubed:censored: but still succeeded only in splitting the booty at the seam:mallet:.

Ordered replacement cables from MaddMatt.

Maybe when I removing the old cables for replacement I'll try slipping the booty on from the other end as an academic exercise for posterity:innocent:.

Thai and I, mostly Thai, were helping another MinnX owner update his brakes. We had the same problems with the boots. Based on that experience I would suggest getting a piece of thin plastic pipe about six inches long. The pipe id should slide over the washers that hold the spring. Cut out a vee shaped piece on both sides of the pipe about 3 inces long so you can slide the boot down to the full sized end. Slip the pipe and boot over the cable and push the boot off the pipe over the cable. Heat the boot first and use plenty of lubricant to slide the boot onto the pipe.

DaveR

Hi Dave,
Yep I tried that with 3/4" copper pipe, a thinner wall than plastic, lots of lube and heat, but I just succeeding in splitting the one boot at the seam is all.

Did the 3/4 copper fit tight on the washers? Could you slite the pipe along the side and remove some material so the pipe just fits over the washers. The pipe we uses was the same size as the washers, and it was very difficult to get the narrow part of the boot over the washers.

Where did you get the boot?

The best I have been able to find is a boot with a section in the center that is straight. It works now, but I suspect it will not when the brakes are more worn as it has limited flex.

It was a pain to put on, but I got it. I was able to work it into position using a dulled small screwdriver to ease it into position. I would get it started on one section, and then rotate the screwdriver around the mount. I need to repeat his a number of times.

I am in the process of adding heat and water to my garage right now and everything is packed away so I cannot take a picture.

Paul Davock

Back