Bought a like new set of Hoosier 20x7x13 tires today

bomar76

Daily Driver
for almost nothing.
R-25 compound, road race marked.
They can't have 2 laps on them if that. Guy that sold them had no idea what they were or usage. Wish they were a little taller ...what would it take to put them on son's stock 87 X?

for almost nothing.
R-25 compound, road race marked.
They can't have 2 laps on them if that. Guy that sold them had no idea what they were or usage. Wish they were a little taller ...what would it take to put them on son's stock 87 X?

Just to be sure, these are not suitable for street use AT ALL!!! And are in fact, illegal to drive on public roads.

OK, with that out of the way...

You can learn more about them here: http://www.hoosiertire.com/rrtire.htm

You will need to look closely at them to identify their exact model number. I suspect they are 43162s. These are unsuited to use on an X1/9, unless it is a sub 1300 lbs X1/9. These tires are designed to run on the front of a 1000 lbs formula car or sports racer. The R25 Compound is Hoosier's softest but was updated to the R25A and now the R25B over the last two years.

To clarify the above, racing slicks are designed to be application specific. Construction and compound are designed to work specifically on the intended car. A 2000 lbs X1/9 would be far to heavy for the model number tire I noted. To maximize performance, the tire is as light as possible and designed to work in a very narrow temperature range. Mounted on a heavier car the tire's structure could not support the weight and mass and would likely run excessively high temperatures resulting in poor performance and a potential failure.

Can you post pics? I can likely recognize the model as I know Hoosier's sports car slicks well. Use a variety of models on my MR2.

924367584_20100703-imgp4519.jpg

Info from tires

The markings just don't photgraph well, but here is everything on them (besides the NOT FOT HIGHWAY USE, inflation,etc stuff)

R25
Road Racing
56 ER

OK for autocross...

...while not optimum, that size is readily available used for pennies.
To a road racer, fresh tires are minor part of campaigning a car.
Hence, lotta good takeoffs available on the used tire market.

Don't work very well on 6" rims.
Weak sidewalls dictate crazy air pressure
to keep 'em from rolling over.
Like high 30s psi!
Which in turn reduces contact patch.
7" rims aren't much better.
Stretching sidewall over 8" rim works pretty darn good.
Still gotta run mid 20s psi.
Higher than design psi.
A compromise to make'em work in non-design application.
A compromise I didn't pioneer.
Others before me tested the water.
Based on design specs, I'd probably have not even tried 'em.

I've been running that size for about 5 years on short gocart track.
Lotta track time in that venue,
in 3 to 5 minute sprints.
No problems at all regarding failure.
I don't use'em on long tracks tho'.
No comfortable with running 20 minutes at 60-100 mph.

No need to just take my word for it.
Several Xweb luminaries have driven/ridden in my X.

If'n you just want to run a few autocrosses without stepping up for 8" rims,
slap'em on a set of 6", pump 'em up, and have fun.
Actually, putting 'em on 8" rims will increase grip
beyond the stock X suspension capacity.

sideways-2.jpg

I get race take off's

From some guy on eBay out of Tennessee. I also run R35's at 8/20-13's which are cantilever tires. While not suited real well for autocrosses as it takes a bit to warm them up, they do how ever excel at the small track I race at. Plus they just look bad ass! (See sig pic)

I have

$10 USD total invested in these......so if nothing else I'll put them on a golf cart and call them the FIA Option Tires.
My hopes were to put them on a set of rims, put out some cones in an abandoned parking lot, and lay down some rubber :)

$10 USD total invested in these......so if nothing else I'll put them on a golf cart and call them the FIA Option Tires.
My hopes were to put them on a set of rims, put out some cones in an abandoned parking lot, and lay down some rubber :)

LOL, "laying down rubber" and "X-1/9" are mutually exclusive of each other!

Back