Brake Master Cylinder....

ltheriau

Jet fuel for the X....?
Does anyone have a clear picture or diagram of the Brake M/C and associated lines for a 78 X?

Mine started "peeing" on my right foot lately, and I've now removed the steering column, pedal box and M/C to take a closer look at the problem.

Seems the PO had some problems in the past, and has "mangled" the rigid lines to "make" them fit better. I'm thinking that he may have modified some of these as well. There is definitely some odd hardware in there that will need to be replaced.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
This first pic shows the M/C, with the lines still attached. Looks like he had some leakage issues as well, and used some type of silicone sealant to stop the leaks. This could be the source of "pee" on my right foot. I couldn't tell exactly where it was leaking as it was all wet up there. The reservoir would empty "overnight" after topping it up.

The second pic is of the current location of the reservoirs. The hoses went straight down into the access hole. I've removed them (he used two clutch reservoirs) and will relocate them in their proper location.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is the best I can do.

Sorry, but I never took a photo with all the lines hooked up. Hope this can help a little bit.

006-2.jpg

Wow....

THAT'S a whole lot claener looking than mine even with only one line on it.:love:

I've got some re-building to do.

Thanks.:sun:

WOW.....

Brian that's a work of art......thank you.:love:

I was feeling rather industrious today and started pulling the pedal box out of my "parts" car of the same year. There's much more corrosion in that one than my daily driver (I try driving it every day I'm home).

After a few sweaty hours, here is what I have:

It appears to be an "unmollested" assembly, still original as there were absolutely no tooling marks on the brake line flare nuts.

I want to achieve as close to original as possible with my re-assembly.

I have new hoses, and I managed to remove the brake lines from the M/C without severe damage. They certainly are re-useable, and with the better hardware, will be near original.

Now, I'm not looking for perfection here, as I'd like to drive it just one more time before leaving for Kandahar, so it's going to get installed with just a very light coat of black paint to protect the pedal box. I have a new M/C installed, but am keeping the old clutch M/C for now as there are no problems there. (I removed it from the pedal box without removing hydraulic lines)

More pics to follow.....thanks for the help guys.:D

LOU, LOU, LOU...

Ever heard do Murphy's Law???

Do yourself a favor and replace the clutch master as well while ya have this in your lap... you won't regret it!

I do fear that the clutch slave will not be able to handle it once you do though... so do that also.

My best to ya Lou... and thanks for your service... you folks make great neighbors!

P.S. That's a beautiful one also, Lou...

HA! In its OWN right... with all that rust, corrosion and PATINA... the beauty of yours was that it was functioning at all!

Well...

I guess that's why they call you PapaTony.....

I have a new clutch M/C to be installed.....stands to reason that maybe.....just maybe you're right and I'd better be installing it as well.

I'd recently replaced the slave my last trip home (April/May) so there's no worries there.

Off to the garage I go......

Thanks Tony for the.......nudge!!!!!:blackeye:

More photos will follow.

Lou.....

.....thanks for your service from Sacramento too. My friends son, and my good friend, Bevan, is a Pedro over there.

I just finished a full rebuild on my brake and clutch MC''s and the clutch slave. It's a dyed in the wool PITA but worth the effort.

My '75 X had that arrangement but my current '74 does not have the aluminum "gizzy" that I see on the others. It still stops though. :)

Thanks fellas.....

I tried for 27 years to get to a "special duty" area during my tenure in the Air Force. It required me to retire and take on a very special civilian job to get out there. I'm thouroughly enjoying this one.....keeping the "eye in the sky" (UAV's) for our Army buddies down there.

Mudge, not too sure what a "Pedro" is....some of the lingo doesn't connect between North and South.

All right, at Tony's insistence, I replaced the clutch M/C. As Mudge indicates, it IS a royal PITA. I couldn't start the clutch line into the M/C even if my life depended on it. I had to drop the pedal box back to the floor to get it started....it is now done.

Here are a couple of pics for your viewing pleasure.:eek:mg:

I'll have more upon further install....

Yur welcome for the nudge.. looks great... NOW, about...

Mr. Murphy...

I drove the '69 Vette today and on the way home the clutch went to the FLOOR! WHAT???

It has MECHANICAL LINKAGE!!!

I managed to coast about 2 blocks... make a right off a 6 lane blvd... and two more rights into a parking lot and into the FIRST space straight ahead that was empty!

Had the friend I was with depress clutch for me and found the cross bar that is suspended between the ENGINE (with a ball joint of sorts) and the FRAME... was loose on the engine side. The mount is either broken or my engine mount is... but was off to the shop via the AAA with my puppy on board... as she could not ride in the cab of the wrecker!

Looks like I sucked up all your bad Karma! HA!

Looks like it'll fly! ;)

Nice work!

Pedros is the term used for PJ's, search and rescue for trapped or wounded. Some special Opps involved, a la Seals.

Isn't amazing how much moisture brake fluid attracts?

Mudge

Thanks...

for the update.....yes these guys sure have their work cut out for them.

As for the moisture, I agree. The pedal box from the donor car is in much worse condition than the one from the daily driver. Some steel brushing and a quick shot of Rustoleum, and she's ready to go back in.

I'm away for a couple of days, but will be back at it on Friday.

See you then.....

Edit.....
Well.....back from my appointment.....weather has been pretty "crappy" the past couple of days and that has delayed any work on the car. Not to mention that I'm leaving in less than 36 hours.......SO......my X is pushed in the garage until the first week of November.

No more updates until then folks.

Thanks for all the help.....time to go play in the "sandbox".

Last edited:
Back