Brake master - need advice from the europeans?

EricH

Eric Hamilton
Went to replace the master cylinder in Euro '74. The brake master is ancient, probably original, covered with rust. That explains why the pedal goes to the floor even though the system is full of fresh fluid and there' s no air in the lines.

But here is the weird part... This piece (http://marketplaceadvisor.channelad...il.aspx?sid=1&sfid=82804&c=437052&i=235348278), the distribution block that holds the low pressure warning switch, isn't there at all. Instead, the three hard lines (two front, one rear) connect straight to the top of the M/C. and as far as I can tell, there's no provision for a low pressure warning - wire and connector just plain isn't there.

Now, my first impulse is to curse the PO, his family, his house, his other cars, the very ground that he walks on... But before I give in to that impulse, I go back and check a very old Euro parts diagram... And I find that this is a real OE setup (look at the bit in the red circle):
one.jpg

and compare with the next page, which is what I expect to see on any US-spec '74:

two.jpg

So here's a question for anyone who knows the early European cars: Is there really no provision for a brake pressure warning light in some very early non-US spec cars? Does anyone out there still have an X with the master cylinder setup that I have?

Another question is whether the threads on the hard line fittings are compatible with the new master that I scored from Vick... but I'll know the answer to that one in about twenty minutes :)

One answer

Another question is whether the threads on the hard line fittings are compatible with the new master that I scored from Vick... but I'll know the answer to that one in about twenty minutes :)

yes.:woot:

Euro 1500 1980

I have a 1980 European 1500. It has piping as your second schematic but does not have the pressure switch. What it does have is a fluid level switch in the resevoir.

I have never been convinced by the pressure switch as you know there is a problem under your foot if either of the circuits fail so it's warning is always too late. The level switch in the resevoir will give you warning before the fluid has run out.

I wonder if there was a USA regulation which made the pressure switch mandatory whilst it wasnt required in Europe?

Steve

brake switch

i have a euro 1977 1300 and it has no brakefluid switch ad all, so i think it's only US.

Thank you ssharpe and martijn

I'm putting it back together the way it was... and this probably explains why the warning light on the dashboard has a little handbrake icon instead of some more general brake warning - because that's exactly what it is, a "handbrake on" warning.

BTW, not having the distribution block and its jumper lines down there opens up the space under the dash a fair amount. It's still cramped and inaccessible and appalling, but it's less cramped and inaccessible and appalling.

EricH..............!

.... What it does have is a fluid level switch in the resevoir.....

While this may not answer your query, it's my understanding that all Euro/UK spec 1300 X's (certainly '76-'78 models) have the fluid level switch in the reservoir cap.
Until reading your post, I never knew that US-spec X's had a fluid pressure switch in the brake hydaulic system - seems a bit weird!

cheers, Ian - NZ

If it's like other USA cars, it's actually a fluid pressure differential switch. It detects any unusual difference in brake line pressure between the two separate brake circuits and if any, illuminates to alert the driver that there is a problem in the braking system.

I think Dan's right

Looking at the way the passages are constructed in the block and where the switch is... It's not a pressure switch, it's a pressure differential switch.

Back