Brake Rotor questions

Bobr

My Toy
1. Is there a difference in front and rear?
2. Are drilled and slotted worth the little extra?
Thanks for the help.......:)

All four rotors...

...are the same.
Mixed reviews here on the drilled and slotted brakes. From what I have heard, there really is no need for anything special on these cars, as they don't heat up that much. Some like the look of the cross drilled rotors if they have wheels that expose them. I am sure you will get some more opinions here.

My opinion

for better braking performance ( shorter stops and less heat buildup ) street driving wast of money for autox unnecessary for road racing maybe I don't think Matt from Midwest runs them. over time and hard braking the drilled ones will crack. you would be amazed what changing brake pads alone can do. if your not already switch to Ferodo IAP has the best price at $35 a set .
they seam to last forever too I have had them on my car for 6 years with alot of autox and I'm just now going to need new ones. my rotors are fine I'll have to measure them but I don't think I'll be replacing them.
what wear you hoping for with the drilled rotors?

for better braking performance ( shorter stops and less heat buildup ) street driving wast of money for autox unnecessary for road racing maybe I don't think Matt from Midwest runs them. over time and hard braking the drilled ones will crack. you would be amazed what changing brake pads alone can do. if your not already switch to Ferodo IAP has the best price at $35 a set .
they seam to last forever too I have had them on my car for 6 years with alot of autox and I'm just now going to need new ones. my rotors are fine I'll have to measure them but I don't think I'll be replacing them.

I agree that Ferodo pads are great, perform well and last pretty well.

general concensus is that they don't help.

if you are gonna push your car to the point where the brakes are starting to over heat, I'd steer you towards real vented rotors rather than the cross-drilled/slotted animals.

jim

Not really needed for a stock X1/9.

Spend your upgrade $$ on teflon / stainless steel braid outer brake lines, better brake pads (we use Hawks on the LeMons racer) and DOT-4+ brake fluid changed often.

1. Is there a difference in front and rear?
2. Are drilled and slotted worth the little extra?
Thanks for the help.......:)

Lastly... (the last word???)

My experience has shown the BIGGEST problem with braking on the X1/9 is the tendency to LOCK UP the front wheels.

Why would I want MORE brake up front?

I found the BIGGEST improvement and almost total elimination of the problem is to use a 60 series or better tire, and lower the front end 1 - 2 inches. (Lowering the front improves static weight distribution...)

Other things have been covered basically... but I might ad that good routine maintenance ensuring the calipers SLIDE on their mounts and the rear E-Brake is functioning properly should go without saying...

I've used STOCK rotors and STOCK Ferrado pads with excellent results for over 26 years on my street car... with about 3 changes in 168,000 miles.

Its just bling

I opted for the slotted rotors from Chris Obert. Goes very nice with the Cromodora CD31's for the ultimate bling factor. Makes no difference in performance. I have seen cross drilled rotors develop small hair-line cracks surrounding the drilled holes. Seen another cross drilled rotor crack and break away from the cross drilled section on the rotor.

Lou Teresi
74 X1/9
87 X1/9

I haven't seen any cracks

in the rotors but I do notice a considerable amount of brake dust I have to clean often. I'm using
stock FIAT pads but I'm thinking of trying out those new green thingies on eBay. Anyone here have
any experience with those?

HAHAHA... I remember folks...

... way back when... telling me to do that!

I prefer my method, a little more costly, which is UNLIKE me, but my car hasta carry enough WEIGHT as it is...

Got to agree.

I see alot of guys talking about brake upgrades and I can't understand why. I am running Pirrelli P6000 tires which seem like very good performers and stomping on the brakes locks up the front in no time.

TonyK

Grimsby Ontario Canada

I like the the EBC greenstuff pads.
They are under the car (front only) for a year now.
They compare well to the OE ones.
Several X1/9's of the Dutch X1/9 club are running these pads with good results.
Although I don't know how they compare to the other performance pads.

Back