Brakes (amongst other things!) are not great

norwichmatt

Hi there, first post and just picked up my 'new' X1/9 at the weekend. Paid not very much money so wasn't expecting much. The thing is road legal but has issues! Brakes, transmission, exhaust, and lots of rust amongst other things! Not disappointed though, i saw flashes of the car's brilliance whilst taking the 170 mile journey back home with it, love it already and plan to make it perfect. Loved these when I was a kid, happy to finally own one now. And I was looking for a forum in advance of owning it and you lot seemed like a knowledgeable friendly bunch so I thought what the heck :)

Brakes are the the first thing. They we're OK when I test drove the car, after i paid for it and suddenly, about 30 miles in to my journey home pedal went very soft, about 2 inches travel down with no action then rock solid and very poor braking efficiency. They weren't great to start with but they suck bad now!

I'm thinking master cyl has collapsed, there's fluid in the reservoir and no leaks that i can see. I pump the pedal with the ignition off, i'd expect it to go firm until i start the engine - it doesn't. This is what makes me think m/c failure but am i assuming the correct behaviour? Should the pedal go firm pumping with engine off? What would you say the problem is? (knowing these cars far better than i do).

Cheers, Matt.

Could be...

First, congrats!

Second, the brake system does not have a vacuum booster so the engine will have no effect on brake feel.

The M/C is the most likely culprit, they can corrode over time internally from the hygroscopic fluid sitting to long. Brake fluid absorbs moisture.

The other components are also suspect.

The brake m/c is not too fun to change, I recommend changing the clutch m/c at the same time, and perhaps the clutch slave cylinder as well. Brake calipers will be next.

Looking at it logically, the brakes are a safe and important first place to start renovations. Then move to other areas.

Thanks so much for your response, yeah, the brakes are the most important thing in my mind so I want them right on. I'll get some parts ordered up and give it a go changing the m/c. The clutch is bad too, right to the floor every time to stand a chance of engaging a gear, 1/2 inch out and no chance, so clutch cyl too i think...

The car is pretty bad for selecting any gear actually. 3rd and reverse are worst but they're all bad. In any other car that 170 miles would have been awful but when i hooked it all up exactly as it wanted it was great great fun. Hoping that issues with the clutch hydraulics are making the gearbox seem worst than it is although I know i deffo need a syncro for the 3rd.

Thanks again!

170 miles right after purchase?

That's a good start no matter what seems to be wrong and you've already heard from us about the hydraulics.

Difficult shifting into all of the gears may be motor mounts or just needing to adjust the shift linkage. Do change the transmission oil as well.

Truth be told...

If the hydraulics are that bad I'd fix them first and see if the shifting doesn't improve. Redline MTL or MT90 will likely help the transaxle as well.

Back