Bumper Shocks for "tucked" bumpers, and...

azxhead

True Classic
If you want to tuck your bumpers but don't want to cut into the shocks, these are just for you...(they will be packed much better than this)

50.00 + 17 shipping us 48 - Paypal preferred

it looks like this when done...

I also have the "ears"' for all four corners and both front bumper ends, as well as both bare bumper bars. The plastic panels that fit above the bumpers are some of the flattest and straightest I have seen; they are available too (not sure what shipping would be). If you need any bumper part for a later car, let me know we will figure something out - if I still have what you need.

Tommy
tutone64*yahoo.com

Last edited:
Will these only work on the 79-87 style or will they tuck a 75-78 style as well?

good question!

I have a set of 78 bumpers here at the house and a bare x shell in the garage. I will put them on and snap a few pics tomorrow. I imagine it will fit well and probably look better too. We shall see

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the photos - I'm in the process of doing a tuck and would love to see a couple of shots from the rear if you could take or have a pic to upload.

I have the shocks already, I just need to get an idea of the final look before I commit to doing it :)

Thanks!

Here ya go.

Couple of notes. The rubber bumper ends have about 1/4 inch clearance. Hard to see in the photo.

I think it's much easier to mount the tubes to the bumper first (but don't fully tighten the bolts just yet), then install the gaskets, then lube the gaskets and then slide the whole assembly in. It works better to leave the shocks extended, then install the bolts, After that you can compress them all the way until the black cowl contacts the gasket. Be careful not to break off the cowl when removing the bolts. It makes a big difference in appearance. Contrast the difference of left and right sides and you will see.

One question I got in PM is in regards to "bumper mobility". Specifically the question was "what keeps the bumper from sliding in and out?" Good question, but the answer is in the 3 years I had them like that with the other bumper, they did not move.

I can see, however, that air can catch the rubber ends of the early bumpers and could possibly move them, but I couldn't know for sure, That said, if I were to keep these bumpers and mount them back on the 78, I would do the tuck but I would consider using some very strong body moulding adhesive strips to secure the bumper ends to the side of the car. It fits nicely in the depression.

corner detail... before

after...

Last edited:
and in the front

Kind of hard to get a real idea of how it looks with the headlights missing, but bringing it in closer definitely gives it more aggressive look.

Assuming front corners fit similar to the rears (no contact to body), I want!

PM sent.

there is plenty of clearnce in the front

seeing this, makes me reconsider the idea of going bumper-less if I keep the 78.

By the way, I have a 1977. One ear on the front right has some rubber missing, so I was wondering if you might have that available.

paypal

Paypal to tutone64*yahoo.com...

Packed and ready to. Paypal today and they will go out today. Add 20 if ya want the rubber part and I will repack a large usps box and send that.

Back