BUST MY ELECTRICAL GHOST!

eflexter

Eddie Flexter
My car seems to be haunted lately. Figure this one out. It's a stock '86 FI car.
Sometimes when I turn the ignition on, before I even try to start the car, all the wrong lights come on on the dashboard, and the fuel pump doesn't work!! Instead of all the happy red lights coming on and the fuel pump buzzing, I get the "headlight-out" green light and the high beam indicator. (Headlights don't come on).
Then I turn the key off and back on and it works fine. I also have a really slow wiper motor all the time.

Sounds like a bad ground? I don't even see how the wiring is related to cross from fuel pump to headlight circuit. Maybe condensation on the fuse box?

Give me some ideas and I'll try to fix it this LOOOOONG weekend! :drink: Wish me luck.

Ignition switch is my guess.

But a few minutes to an hour of quality time with a test light will help.

Ignition switch is dying. As this becomes worst, the car will not start but will run the starter..

Bernice

My car seems to be haunted lately. Figure this one out. It's a stock '86 FI car.
Sometimes when I turn the ignition on, before I even try to start the car, all the wrong lights come on on the dashboard, and the fuel pump doesn't work!! Instead of all the happy red lights coming on and the fuel pump buzzing, I get the "headlight-out" green light and the high beam indicator. (Headlights don't come on).
Then I turn the key off and back on and it works fine. I also have a really slow wiper motor all the time.

Sounds like a bad ground? I don't even see how the wiring is related to cross from fuel pump to headlight circuit. Maybe condensation on the fuse box?

Give me some ideas and I'll try to fix it this LOOOOONG weekend! :drink: Wish me luck.

... and ME makes THREE...

... What's this "bad ground" and must be a "short" stuff... HAHAHAHA!

It would appear ya have parts tumbling around in your ignition switch... go to version 1.0 Best of and see ALL of Gregory Smith's posts.

If ya happen to have several SPARE switches lying around... I'd swap it out... but otherwise... spend the long week end overhauling yours like Gregory did.

My best to the family in your absence from the table... and sorry for your trouble...

!

I was gonna try to raise the steering column anyway. I'll pull the switch and try that overhaul thing.

I still think the car is haunted. Is Mr. Bertone still alive? He may be pissed about something......... those Italians are too emotional!

HA! I find that most X1/9's are NOT haunted...

... but do have a problem with their sexual identity, as most folks keep calling them "she"!

You could also actually have a female X1/9... and if so... the best thing is to quietly and discreetly rid yourself of her and find yourself a male.

Hope the repair goes well...

I see three distinct problems

ONE: Ignition switch, like the others stated.
TWO: Fuel pump should NOT turn on with the ignition switch, but only as the car is turning over. AFM may need adjusting.
THREE: My car suffered from slow wipers until I did the relay mod. Now they work perfectly!

Back