calling Bernice...control arm bushing dimensions?

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
Hey Bernice (or anyone who wants to help)

You offered to measure a stock rear control arm bushing once upon a time. Can I take you up on that offer? I don't have any (that are off the car) and I found a good source for bushing parts and I want to see if they have what we need to fab replacements. I know that our trusty vendors get them (I know that Chris O has some now) but I still would like to see what kind of replacements can be had or made.

Thanks,
Tim

I wonder if the design could be improved. I read somewhere a long time ago about a guy who made elliptical inserts from Delrin.

That was on my old race car.

The rear bushings were elliptical to prevent bind since the rotation of the bushing is not on just a single plane.

The ended up being egg shape which eliminated the bind. I wish I could take credit for the design, however, Steve who built the car came up with the idea.

Eric

Bushing OD = 1.259" or 31.95mm,

Steel Bushing Shell length = 1.464" or 40mm

Overall length end to end = 2.145" or 54.4mm,

ID = 0.563" or 14.4mm

Poly bushings are available from Monte Hospital and a few other suppliers in the EU.

Alternatives to poly would be to install spherical bearings (good ones Kevlar-TFE liner races, chrome alloy steel ball and housing), IMO the better way if you're going to even bother.

The thin metal shims used between these rear bushings and the suspension brackets are there to take up the space between the ends of the bushing and the suspension bracket preventing them from being excessively compressed when the M14 bolts are installed. Excessive compression of the suspension bracket causes it to be over stressed and could lead to problems and failure. These shims are there with good, sound technical reasons..

Bernice

Bernice

Hey Bernice (or anyone who wants to help)

You offered to measure a stock rear control arm bushing once upon a time. Can I take you up on that offer? I don't have any (that are off the car) and I found a good source for bushing parts and I want to see if they have what we need to fab replacements. I know that our trusty vendors get them (I know that Chris O has some now) but I still would like to see what kind of replacements can be had or made.

Thanks,
Tim

Thanks Berince. I will probably also take you up on borrowing the bushing tool you designed as well. Any chance of getting it this weekend or next week?

Thanks,
Tim

You mean the rear brushing removal tool?

I can mail it to you. Send me a note if the tool is needed.

Bernice

Thanks Berince. I will probably also take you up on borrowing the bushing tool you designed as well. Any chance of getting it this weekend or next week?

Thanks,
Tim

Back