Cam box gaskets - Permatex or not?

BrianH

1979 Fiat X1/9
I am replacing a leaking lower cam box gasket. Originally I didn't use any kind of sealant on the gasket, but now I'm wondering if I should have. Any suggestions? Any different practices for the upper vs. lower gasket regarding sealant?

Thanks,
Brian Harston
'79 X1/9

Cam box gaskets

I am replacing a leaking lower cam box gasket. Originally I didn't use any kind of sealant on the gasket, but now I'm wondering if I should have. Any suggestions? Any different practices for the upper vs. lower gasket regarding sealant?

No sealant on the upper gasket; it has to come off every time you check the valve clearances. Usually that gasket is a fairly thick rubber affair, designed to compress nicely and reseal.

A thin coat of sealant for the lower gasket is fine, as long as you don't overdo it and you don't plan on taking the cam box off again any time soon. No matter what you do, you should plan on checking the valve clearances when you're done - the new gasket will have a different thickness.

hypomylar works for me....

hard to find though, Harbor freight has some- it never really dries so it's perfect for places where the seam affects tolerances.

i think Kevin and I are suggesting the same thing

I get mine from Napa though. they call it aviation form-a-gasket sealant liquid. item #765-1210
Its a brown colored stuff that never really dries and works great for this type application. i like to use it on gaskets in the cooling system too so i don't get those aggrivating little coolant trails of seapage even though the gasket really isn't leaking... just getting seasoned. I use it like on the water pump gasket and t-stat housing. great stuff... help totally seal up the paper gaskets and not permanantly adhere to the engine.

Lower gasket replacement.

Clean all surfaces then take the thin paper gasket and soak with water and install. The water makes the gasket flow into any inperfections and also will allow the gasket to sit flat and stay in place during cam box installation. This was the standard way of replacement when I worked at a Fiat Dealership 32 years ago.

Never use sealant or a dry gasket as it will not fit correctly and will slip out of place before you have all the cam box bolts installed.

I have never had a cam box gasket leak after this method of installation.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Back