karhawk

True Classic
the cam is real stiff and will barely rotate with the head on the bench

Isky spings
pittitore 40-80
no idea what shims are in there now

Last edited:
It's still not good yet!!

I just got our BV head back and I'm trying to adjust the valves, it is very difficult to rotate the cam, this head has Isky springs with an inner flat spring to hold the smaller springs in place at high revs I assume. So you have the outers, the flat middle and small inners could these springs be so stiff as to cause difficulty rotating the cam with a 18 breaker bar? I took the cam box off and the cam rotates just fine, all the tappets move freely, granted is more difficult to get leverage with the cam off the engine but it seems too stiff to me.
We're not sure about Oregon this year, Mayuko will be 7 1/2 months pregnant so she may not be up for it.

Chris
Oakland, Ca.

Could the shim thickness cause spring bind? The original shims may have been set up for a regrind cam and I'm using a pittitore A16 cam

I asked because when I was fitting my cam and decked cam box I realized I was didn't swap out shims to smaller size and the ones in the tappets were large due to a regrind I had in earlier as well. The cam was much easier to turn after I reduced the shim size. I went below stock size (due to decked cam box).

Could the shim thickness cause spring bind? The original shims may have been set up for a regrind cam and I'm using a pittitore A16 cam

I think Tim is on the right track here...you can't just swap in a different cam & use the same shims. The shim thicknesses need to be set up for the particular cam being used, custom-sized to each particular cam lobe. If even one of the shims are too thick, you will get "cam bind" as you've described.

I'm not 100% sure of the Alquati A16's required clearances, but most of the PBS cams use a cold valve lash measurement of .010" intake & .012" exhaust for reference. You might try .012"i/.014"e for starters?

check warpage

If the cam is working aginst the valves and springs it will be hard to rotate. I there are no valves in the head the cam should rotate freely, however if the cam box is warped it will be be very tight the same holds true for the head where the cam box mounts to the head. Try loosing the cam box bolts and see if that makes a difference.
Charlie

the cam is hitting a wall like spring bind on a couple of valves, the spring height on these isky springs is not set up right, plus the guy that set up this BV head did not set the height of the intakes to approx the same as the exhaust valves.. they are approx 1-1.5mm longer

anybody running isky springs that would know the installed height? I'm going to take this to a Fiat expert to get this sorted out. The only way out of this mess is to cut the head where the springs sit to get the right height.

chris
Oakland, Ca.

Had the same problem.

With a Faza high lift cam. The springs run out of room and have nothing Left to compress. You must either change the camshaft or remove all washers below the springs or machine a recess where the spring seats to over come this.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Isky specs

1.417 Installed height or larger. 114 lbs seat pressure at specified installed height.

Bind height: .960. Spring rate: 240 lbs/inch.

You can see that these springs will handle a .460 lift cam (nearly 11.7mm) which is a pretty big lift. Because your intake valves are short though, then yes, you are running into coil bind.

On a street car, running the valve springs at a looser installed height is no problem, so milling the head to give the valves extra height is a potential solution.

-Matt

-M

I'll take the cam box off again and measure the height, it's only one or two intakes that are binding. do the valve guides have to come out to mill the head?
thanks
ps
is there a measurement at full compression? Distance between coils?

chris
Oakland, ca.

Milling head

The valve guides could stay in providing the miller has a tool that has a hollow bore that will clear the valve guide.

That being said to find a Shop that has the correct tooling may be an issue. This is for hand set up. It is possible to do this with a straight end mill and CNC program. I would suggest taking the head to a few shops and show them what you want. Some may say no problem while others will want the guides pressed down to clear the amount of relief you need machined in the top of the head.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Back