Can I directly replace the Bosch Module

Mike_Gold

True Classic
with this?
35361.jpg

Some older threads in N54 discuss this, but I haven't really determined if it can be directly tossed in. Or if it works, do I lose the tach?

It's so much easier on my old Ford truck where I can SEE whether the points open, and I can set them with a dime (or two nickels).

-- Cheers,
Mike

Some older threads in N54 discuss this, but I haven't really determined if it can be directly tossed in. Or if it works, do I lose the tach?
It's not a drop-in replacement for the Bosch ECU - goes with a different electronic ignition. You won't lose the tach with that one either.

But this reminds me that I'm supposed to go out and check the numbers on my Bosch ECU, let you know whether they match the numbers on the ebay one that you're looking at... Will do that in a moment.

It's so much easier on my old Ford truck where I can SEE whether the points open, and I can set them with a dime (or two nickels).
I hear you :p I'm running one of the '74s with the original points dizzy and like it just fine since I replaced the points 2500 miles ago. I'll be swearing at again pretty soon though, when I have to reset the gap sometime in the next few months.

No, this is a different system than the Marelli/Delco/Fairchild Semiconductor system used in the FIAT twin cam.

The stock Bosch unit is a good unit, in ways better than the one used in the FIAT twin cam..

Rational for replacing the Bosch system?

Bernice

with this?

-- Cheers,
Mike

Thanks, Bernice

I was just looking for a quick way to get running. I'll have to source the Bosch unit over the internet, and I am still uncertain as to if the part number has to be an exact match or not.

Thanks,

-- Mike

From what I understand the theory is the same, magnetic pickup to coil-driving signal. I don't believe the bosch box does anything fancy like advance timing, so I think it should work.

it' something I"ve been thinking of trying, but haven't yet. Please let me know if you try it and it works.

That same Bosch EI unit was used in 924/944 Porsche, Volvo and a host of other cars from that era. It was also used in FIAT Strada/Ritmo in the US.

Getting the Bosch magnetic trigger dizzy is key. Once that is in place, that magnetic trigger is compatible with many aftermarket EI units.

Bernice

I was just looking for a quick way to get running. I'll have to source the Bosch unit over the internet, and I am still uncertain as to if the part number has to be an exact match or not.

Thanks,

-- Mike

Back