Can't get head off-

Do you know any good Italian swear words?

It took me 3 hours to get the engine out, and I've been trying to get the head off for 2. PB Blaster down the bolt holes & in the cylinders. Wore my arm out with a knock-off hammer. :wall:

Time to quit & see if there is a better way.

Thanks,
-- Mike/Manchester, TN

several methods...

There is a factory removal tool (i think)... but haven't seen one personally.... have you tried the rope trick?? Take out all the spark plugs and stuff as much rope down into the cylinders as you can....crank the starter and pop! Sounds like since you already have the engine out you may have to rig the starter up bench test style...or use an impact on the crank pulley nut??

The rope trick worked for me....

There is a factory removal tool (i think)... but haven't seen one personally.... have you tried the rope trick?? Take out all the spark plugs and stuff as much rope down into the cylinders as you can....crank the starter and pop! Sounds like since you already have the engine out you may have to rig the starter up bench test style...or use an impact on the crank pulley nut??

The rope trick worked for me, with two variations.
First, take the cam box off so that all the valves are closed, so there's no chance at all of bending one. and second, use a wrench on the crank pulley nut if the motor is already out.

Thanks, all!

Part of being old & tired is forgetting all the stuff you used to know. After hearing about the "rope trick," I remembered a tool I had made years ago.

I busted a spark plug & brazed a grease zerk to it. Filled a cylinder with oil, screwed the tool in the plug hole & hit it with the grease gun. Off it came!!

Now to check this engine out & see what it looks like!!

Thanks again,
-- Mike

the removal tool works. I struggled with a head once some years back ... the darn thing would not budge. rented the tool and ten minutes after I got it, the head was off and on the bench.

jim

Sounds like you're struggling with a cylinder head with M12 nuts/studs/bolts.

If the head removal tool is not available, try removing the M12 head studs with a threaded collet stud remover( Snap-On makes this) or double nut or ?. If the studs are removed, the head should come off easy.

The studs tend to bond themselves to the aluminum cylinder head due to corrosion caused by porosity, heat, time and... .

Bernice

Do you know any good Italian swear words?

It took me 3 hours to get the engine out, and I've been trying to get the head off for 2. PB Blaster down the bolt holes & in the cylinders. Wore my arm out with a knock-off hammer. :wall:

Time to quit & see if there is a better way.

Thanks,
-- Mike/Manchester, TN

I busted a spark plug & brazed a grease zerk to it. Filled a cylinder with oil, screwed the tool in the plug hole & hit it with the grease gun. Off it came!!

Wow!!! I'd never heard of anyone 'hydrolocking' a engine to get a head off... pretty cool!!! Fabbing up your own 'sparkplug'-based-tool is awesome. If I had a magazine, you'd get a free years subscription for your idea!

I remember getting the head off my 128 was a mother of a job when I rebuilt that thing in college. (burned rod bearing)

M-12 bolts

Bernice, you are absolutely correct. After I got the head loose, I had to worry it off the studs. Good idea about removing them. They will be polished and smeared with anti-seize before the head goes back on.

Back