Car breaks up when it rains

LoveX1/9s

True Classic
When ever it rains and I start the car, it runs rough. Have an x1/9. Is water getting into the fuse box or somewhere else? If it’s not raining when I drive, it works itself out.

Check if water is sitting in the rightside area above the rear fender. I don't remember what is in that area, but the drain line can get clogged and cause problems.

Check if water is sitting in the rightside area above the rear fender. I don't remember what is in that area, but the drain line can get clogged and cause problems.
Dave is pointing out a known issue. The ignition control unit is mounted in the passenger side pod and can get wet if that pod drain is plugged with crud.

EIC into 78-1.JPG

I can't say this happens for sure - but perhaps this drain causes this - which is located right above the distributor cap.

1692707473902.png

If there was ever a title to a thread that fed the ‘fix it again tony’ FIAT haters, it’s this threads’ title….

My old 75 used to do the same thing. One day while it was raining and dark enough outside to see it, I saw my distributor cap arcing all over the place. It had a hairline crack in it that I hadn't noticed before. Changed the cap and wires...problem solved.

I had this issue with my Uno Turbo swapped car. On mine, the engine cover drain pictured above was dripping down onto the wiring loom that fed through the bulkhead to the ECU. It was getting inside a braided section, capillary actioning along the wires inside the grommet and dripping down onto the ECU terminals.

Took me about 3 months of head scratching to figure that one out!

Back