Carb adj. 30dica

Rope42

Daily Driver
I'm in trying to adjust a 30 DIC carburetor where do I start what are my starting points as far as centering the idle adjustment fast and slow can anybody help please it runs good fast but does not idle it runs rough at lower rpms

Clean the idle jet (spark plug side of carb) and check the idle mixture needle for the presents of an o-ring. O-rings dry-up and crack or melt away after 40 years.

Carb kit in hand

Is there a baseline for the settings for the high and low idle adjustments? Thanks for your info about the o-ring

Here is the official spec I found in the factory manual or someplace else. You don't have to follow it exactly.

Idle adjustment: 1/2 Turn from screw stop lug
Idle mixture: 3/4 Turn then in or out from there for highest RPM. Then adjust idle screw for correct RPM.

I'd start with 1 to 1.5 turn on the mixture screw and enough turns on the idle adjustment screw to keep a high idle. After everything is warmed up start doing your fine tuning to your liking.

Make sure that o-ring is fresh as that is what I find causes an erratic idle. Any o-ring is fine. I think mine came from a Harbor Freight assortment or the Home Depot hardware store. Also find any vacuum leaks around the intake manifold gaskets, recirculating gas fittings or anyplace else you can think of.

Engine tuning can be frustrating and time consuming. Took me a year to finally check my o-ring on the mixture needle when I had problems on a car with an erratic idle. Don't be afraid to drive it, just keep doing a Heal & Toe to keep your engine running.

Last edited:
Back