Carb and FI gas tanks interchangable?

tdskip

True Classic
More planning on the '74. I have the original gas tank in the car, and a later FI one on hand. Other than the return on the FI tank, are there other differences? Can - should - they be swapped in prep for an eventual FI conversion?

Thanks for humoring all the newbie questions guys.

Fuel Tanks.

Carb version supples fuel from the fuel tank on the upper portion of the tank with a supply tube that goes to the bottom of the tank.

Injected version has a pick up on the bottom of the tank to keep a contant head of fuel in the electric fuel pump so it will not go dry.

Injected cars use a low draw high out put pressure pump. Carb cars use a high draw low pressure fuel pump.

You can use an injected fuel tank on a carb car but not the reverse as you will strave the electric pump for fuel and burn it out. When I added MegaSquirt to my car I installed a bump tank that uses a standard electric pump to fill the bump tank with return to the main tank and below the bump tank is the electric Injection pump that always has a head of fuel feeding it.

TonyK

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

TK is probably right here... (again)

as many folks have replaced their mechanical pumps on carbed cars with with electric pumps with no issues on the suction side.

BUT, they are in carbed cars, and carbs don't require the pressure and have a built in reserve in their float bowls anyway.

Since the engine is out and you have the time and space, it would probably be best to install FI tank over either modifying a carb tank or a bump tank.

Back