carb fan question

fiatrn

Jonathan is the FiatRN
Zoe has a stock '74 with the carb fan. It works - it turns on when we park the car on a hot day, but it only runs for about 5 seconds, then shuts off, then cycles again a minute later, repeat for awhile.

I assume that it has a thermostat that activates the fan, and that my thermostat just cools very quickly and shuts off. Is there any way to adjust this thermostat? Do I just need to swap it out?

I guess I'm asking for y'all to have done my research for me so that I don't have to pour over wire diagrams.

I know that many people remove these fans, but I like that her car is original and everything works on it. Even the evil emissions stuff!

Jonathan
the FiatRN
Denver, CO

On the F.I. models...

The thermostatic switch is screwed into an aluminum block, which is in turn bolted to the head:
IMG_8041.jpg

It's the bright silver thing in the center just below the springs.

Yours could be failing, it's like a radiator fan switch that screws into a radiator. Yours also might need cleaning and re-bolting, corrosion could cause a loss of heat transfer. Also, the connections could be corroded adding resistance to the circuit.

On an F.I. car the switch grounds a relay, which passes current to the rather powerful fan in the trunk.

on carb models its directly in the carburetor on the right side of the base looking forwards, it has 2 wires going into it

fan thanks

Thanks folks - I'll remove it and clean it and see if that makes things more happy.

Thank you, and extra thanks for the photo!

Jonathan
theFiatRN

There is an electric fan for the radiator too, isn't there? I don't think I've ever heard the fan for the FI in the trunk go on.

I've never heard any fan in mine. '81 FI. Injector fan or rad fan, never heard 'em. Car only starts to get warm if it has to sit in traffic. I don't have a clue if something isn't working, I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've got plenty to work on!

Back