CARBURETOR QUESTION

aclayton

Low Mileage
I removed my Carb, DMTR A200, on my 1974 X1/9 and put in a new kit. In my kit was 2 base Insulation Gaskets. When I removed the carb from the insulation plate, there were no Base Gaskets. It looks like the Base Gaskets are molded into the Insulation Plate. Do i install the base gaskets on each side of the insulator plate or leave them out when I put the carb back on.

Hmmmm...

I kinda doubt the gaskets are molded to the phenolic base plate... maybe kinda mushed here from years of being there.

I would flat file the old plate (or sand it to clean it up and insure it is flat) and install the new gaskets on either side. I also use a bit of grease on the new gaskets to soften them up and to insure a better seal.

You should be fine then...

Art... WOW... I reviewed your site...

... and man, are you doing a lot of work.

Hope you can also enjoy the car as well.

As for the hesitation on start-up... I don't know your exact carb but if you have a MANUAL secondary, versus the VACUUM secondary... then that could be why.

The vacuum secondary is actually a manual also that is not allowed to operate until the car has reached operating temp and the 3 way valve allows vacuum to then allow the secondary of the carb to operate. The could be a whole bunch of stuff a issue here.

Another area is the vaccum advance... which in MOST cases actually (effectively) RETARDS so that when the secondary is opened, the engine is allowed to "catch-up" and then advance... and the stumble is eliminated.

All engines need to be warmed a bit... but this stumble would be noticed when warm also. The dizzy advance is also controlled by that 3 way valve and is not allowed to advance until the engien is warm also.

(The 3 way valve controls is a SMOG control device for the advance, carb secondary, and gas recirculating valve. I removed all my smog gear, corked up the coolant lines, rerouted the choke coolant line, and just routed vacuum to the dizzy after installing a manual secondary carb. Runs really sweet now. You could also leave the vacuum secondary carb on and just tee off the vacuum line to the dizzy and make it work also.)

Hope this helps... do check with us often first and we'll probably be able to save you some time, money and frustration!

Keep up the good work also!

Back