Changing brake pads, how do I disconnect the handbrake cable?

Zona

Jase
The Haynes manual I have gave a very uninformative picture and told me to just do it... and an online manual gave better instructions but not complete. It told me to compress the plunger then remove the shaft but I'm not too sure what the plunger is or what tool I need to compress it.

Also I bought the fedoro brake pads from either IAP or Bayless (bought a bunch from both can't remember specifics) but they didn't tell me which set is for the front and which is for the rear, I am assuming the thicker ones go up front but I'd like to make sure prior to installing them.

No need to remove the brake cable

The Haynes manual I have gave a very uninformative picture and told me to just do it... and an online manual gave better instructions but not complete. It told me to compress the plunger then remove the shaft but I'm not too sure what the plunger is or what tool I need to compress it.

Also I bought the fedoro brake pads from either IAP or Bayless (bought a bunch from both can't remember specifics) but they didn't tell me which set is for the front and which is for the rear, I am assuming the thicker ones go up front but I'd like to make sure prior to installing them.

Hi Zona,

If you are just changing the pads on the rear there is no need to remove the handbrake cable. Just pull the caliper with the cable and hose still attached. Then change your pads.

You might want to run to harbor freight for one of these nifty brake tools to assist in twisting the rear pistons back into the caliper:
http://www.harborfreight.com/four-wheel-disc-brake-piston-tool-95713.html

And yes.... thin in the back and thick in the front. I don't think there is any way you could fit the thick pads on the rear, so you would have figured it out pretty quick.

As Jiminy said...

Its not necessary to remove the e-brake cable unless ya wanna rebuild the calipers.

If ya do... try this:

Leave the e-brake down...

With a set of pliers and a set of Vice-Grips... and the caliper still attached to its mount... Grap the spring at the end of its sheath and PULL it back with the pliers... Then lock the vice-grips down on the cable, holding the spring back.

Now the cable can be easily removed from the caliper arm.

Back