Changing from electric fuel pump to mechanical

Jim McKenzie

1972 850 Spider
I've had a recent bit of an issue with sputtering (and found it to be a cracked plastic fuel filter allowing air into the system)...but was advised in the process by a couple folks to perhaps change my aftermarket electric fuel pump to a mechanical.

I read up on it and learned that in an accident it's possible, though not likely, for the pump to keep going and pump gas, possibly leading to a fire.

So I bought a new mechanical X1/9 fuel pump, with gasket.

I was wondering if any of the board experts had an advice (photo) of how to change and mount this. Anything I should look for? Look out for?

I read up on it and learned that in an accident it's possible, though not likely, for the pump to keep going and pump gas, possibly leading to a fire.

FWIW, one can buy an aftermarket inertia activated electric pump shut-off switch...

http://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecId=87

However seeing that you bought the mech. pump already... Removal and installation is straight forward and documented in the service manual. I know that the Haynes manual has good illustrations.

I changed BB-4RE from electric to mechanical

It had one of those 'clacker-type' electric fuel pumps in it to replace the original mechanical fuel pump, so I got rid of
the thing and replaced the mechanical pump with a new one. Worked perfectly fine.

Another option.

Since I installed Megasquirt on the 79 X I had the very same issue.

Going through the MegaSquirt monster manual they suggest obtaining an impact sensor from any Ford car which is located in the rear trunk fender well, I think drivers side. For $2 I picked one up at the wreckers. This is resetable should someone run into your car and it opened up the electrical circuit to the fuel pump.

I am surprized Bob Brown did not suggest this.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Well... considering that almost every new car made today...

... uses an electrical pump.

I'm not aware if they have any inertia activated shut-off switches though... maybe someone can chime in.

Unless I was racing, I don't think the threat is great enough to warrant going back to mechanical or installing the cutoff switch... but you do what makes you feel comfortable.

I've put a relay in the + of the pump. The relay is activited bij the idiotlight for oilpressure. No oilpressure no gas pumping. Also failsave when you suddenly looses the oilpressure.

Back