Cigarette/Cigar lighter for Euro cars?

MikeHynes

True Classic
I've got a couple of non-Fiat-Lancia cars that have Cigarette/Cigar lighters that have larger diameter lighters than those used on Fiats or Japanese or USA made cars. Does anyone know how I can get a cell phone charger that fits these larger lighters? I'm tired of jamming some paper in there to keep the charger from popping out.:(

Mike,
What cars are those?
My 67 Olds 98 has the same plug diameter as my Fiats, my 89 BMW and my 2006 Mercedes. 🤷‍♂️
(The only problem is that the X1/9 socket is very deep and a lot of plugs don‘t make contact because they aren‘t long enough.)

By chance are they in German cars?

I've had some older European vehicles with the odd size lighter receptacle. But off the top of my head I was thinking they were actually smaller diameter(?) than the normal modern versions. However I may be remembering it wrong. Regardless, as far as I know those were in vehicles made long before cell phone chargers ever existed so I've never seen a charger that fits the non-standard size receptacle.

Would it be an option to replace the power receptacle with a current type? Otherwise the outside diameter of the plug is only for the ground lead. So you might be able to make a copper sleeve to install inside the existing receptacle, making it the same diameter as your current chargers?

You've got me thinking, I might actually have a NOS replacement of those odd sized receptacles in a box of spare stuff. The next time I have access I'll look through it and measure the size (if I still have one).

You've got me thinking, I might actually have a NOS replacement of those odd sized receptacles in a box of spare stuff. The next time I have access I'll look through it and measure the size (if I still have one).
I easily found the box of related spare parts and located the new replacement lighter receptacle I was thinking of. However it is a standard size one (roughly 20mm diameter).

I could be wrong, but didn't some 80's American cars come with a small diameter lighter? I've never owned any American vehicles (aside from my current "shop truck") so I really don't know.

Thanks Jim, I have searched on Amazon and other places, but so far, no luck. It looks like the one you found is made for a different style male end (are we still allowed to say that?).
Ulix, Dr Jeff, yes one is German, the other Italian - Porsche and Maserati. For some reason the female end is larger on these cars, my car charger male ends are too small to fit snuggly. Right now I fold up a piece of paper and jam it in there to hold the male end of my charger in position. :( And no, I am not going to install an add-on outlet in either car.
I suppose some sort of ring to fit over the OD of the male end of my charger would work? But I would prefer to just find a charger with a larger male plug. I'm surprised this isn't a well known thing. I suppose I'll post on a Porsche or Maserati forum?

Thanks Jim, I have searched on Amazon and other places, but so far, no luck. It looks like the one you found is made for a different style male end (are we still allowed to say that?).
Ulix, Dr Jeff, yes one is German, the other Italian - Porsche and Maserati. For some reason the female end is larger on these cars, my car charger male ends are too small to fit snuggly. Right now I fold up a piece of paper and jam it in there to hold the male end of my charger in position. :( And no, I am not going to install an add-on outlet in either car.
I suppose some sort of ring to fit over the OD of the male end of my charger would work? But I would prefer to just find a charger with a larger male plug. I'm surprised this isn't a well known thing. I suppose I'll post on a Porsche or Maserati forum?
Could you just replace the guts of the assembly to a standard compatible part? This way you don’t need adapters of any kind.

On my Xs I got a USB port and installed it separately. They have dual USB ports and even a voltmeter. That way you can leave the stock lighter assembly in place and continue to use it for lighting up your after dinner cigar.

Pieces of paper shoved in a 12v source! What next, aluminum foil fuse replacements?

Sometimes the best way to solve a problem is to go around it.

For some reason the female end is larger on these cars, my car charger male ends are too small to fit snuggly.
I guess Porsche and Maserati figured their customers could afford fancier cigars in larger ring gauge sizes. I never had an issue lighting my White Owl, Tiparillo or Backwoods with the smaller Fiat lighter. :cool:

Looks like Mike is exactly correct, see below, from Wikipedia.
The difference is about 0.5 mm, so in many cases, if the spring in the center contact isn‘t too strong, a US plug will probably work in a euro car, and that‘s why we didn‘t notice.

12-volt cigarette lighter receptacle and plug, size A
  • Receptacle inside diameter: 20.93–21.01 mm(median 20.97 mm)
  • Plug body diameter: 20.73–20.88 mm(median 20.805 mm)
  • Most often used in American automobiles
12-volt cigarette lighter receptacle and plug, size B
  • Receptacle inside diameter: 21.41–21.51 mm(median 21.455 mm)
  • Plug body diameter: 21.13–21.33 mm(median 21.18 mm)
  • Most often used in European automobiles, and sometimes as a second socket in American automobiles expressly for DC power connections.

But you could try a different USB charge plug off Amazon and hope for a better fit.
I have some that fit so tightly in a euro outlet that they are hard to remove.

Could you just replace the guts of the assembly to a standard compatible part? This way you don’t need adapters of any kind.
That is what I was trying to suggest when I mentioned using a common sized outlet, not a "add-on" item. ;)

Last edited:
For some reason the female end is larger on these cars, my car charger male ends are too small to fit snuggly.
Mike, are you talking about less than .5mm difference (as described in post #10 by Ulix), or a substantially larger difference? That's a very small difference, less than .25mm on each side. I really don't see that causing any issues using a charger.

I've owned countless older German cars and I recall some with a MUCH different size lighter diameter. However as I stated earlier I am thinking it was smaller, not larger (but I might have that backward). If it is only the small difference that Ulix described, then just try another brand of charger as he suggested. I have some that fit lose and others that fit very tight, so they vary. However I'm thinking you are finding a much bigger diameter on your receptacles?

Thanks Ulix, I didn't think to look at Wilipedia! I think that's it - type B. My Porsche doesn't even have an ashtray (but the lighter has a smoking cig icon on it).

I think I'll try one of the Euro styles like you listed. It's worth a try.

BTW - Some charges won't work in my Lancia because they are not deep enough. I've got one charger just for that car, I guess I'll have a few more car specific chargers. :)

Mike,
What kind of Porsche is it?
And would you have details on that deep charger? I need one for the X.

Ulix , its a 911. Carrera 4, cabriolet, tiptronic. Yes, it's no fire breathing turbo charged monster, more like the "girlfriend's car".

The charger I use in the Scorpion came with a phone I bought. It says Verizon on it on it, that's all I know about it.
20221231_065503.jpg

My neighbors have the exact same thing, in triple purple.
Paint, leather and top in purple.
I like it. 😁

Back