CL - 1979 Fiat X1/9 Bertone - $3,200 (Bellevue, NE)

JimD

Waiting for Godot...
I wasn't going to post this one, but maybe someone is looking for a project. Seller notes that "The drivers door has some light damage." Umm, yeah. :)

79 X in NE on CL.jpg
We have definitely seen cars in worse shape. I like the custom "X 1.9" script on the sail panel.

Some of you get all wigged out about the door and some of us just start looking for a replacement door (and paint the whole car flat black).

Some of you get all wigged out about the door and some of us just start looking for a replacement door (and paint the whole car flat black).
Why look for a new door when "new door skins are available".... I don't think I've ever seen a door skin....

Why look for a new door when "new door skins are available".... I don't think I've ever seen a door skin....
That is what I thought restoring the 76 orange pictured. I bought an aftermarket right side door skin from a vendor in the UK. The sheet metal man doing the repairs said the contours of the skin did not line up with the contours on the front and rear fenders (virgin in original paint) <as in did I make this skin by hand?> He told me to find a used FIAT door skin. He said he could spend scores of hours trying to make the replacement skin usable. So, I drove 300 miles to get a used door for $300. And the used door only needed 2 hours of repairs.

Attachments

• 20201203140621593.jpg
    20201203140621593.jpg
    296 KB · Views: 17
The skins have been around on various sites. I am pretty sure I was thinking of the same UK vendor @johnph dealt with. Then I wondered if MWB had any. Yep left and right factory skins. I hope they still have a few if I ever need one.

The skins have been around on various sites. I am pretty sure I was thinking of the same UK vendor @johnph dealt with. Then I wondered if MWB had any. Yep left and right factory skins. I hope they still have a few if I ever need one.
Holy hockey puck Batman! I never knew door skins were even a thing. Most people I know just replace the entire door. Possibly because it's easier to work with a different door than the skin as @johnph mentions?

Holy hockey puck Batman! I never knew door skins were even a thing. Most people I know just replace the entire door. Possibly because it's easier to work with a different door than the skin as @johnph mentions?
Door skins are really prevalent in the muscle car world where spare doors are not a dime a dozen (like with an X or a 124). Since our cars still have the “whole door” option I’m not surprised that the available skins could be sub par in quality.

Back