Coil overs

mmudge

True Classic
The '79 X I brought home today came with coil over struts in the rear and front coil overs in a box. As cool as it can be......I was looking for a set and, taa daa, here they are.

The car is quite nice but but being a '79 carbed car, which was death to that years motor in an X and a 124 Spider, which is the correct way to go to save this car? It's very nice. Faded red.

Mudge

Can you desmog a '79 where you live?

The car is quite nice but but being a '79 carbed car, which was death to that years motor in an X and a 124 Spider, which is the correct way to go to save this car? It's very nice. Faded red.

If you can, that's far and away the easiest way to proceed. You'll replace the 28/30 DHTA with the 32 DATRA from the '75-'78 years, and then disconnect and plug anything whose purpose is not obvious (except the fuel tank vent system - plug it, and its purpose will soon become obvious).

Q's.......

1) Does it run?
2) Overall condition?
3) Are you willing to rework the car every two years to (hopefully) pass smog?

I would find a 74-75 X and put the coilovers on that. Then sell the '79 out of state.

Ciao,

Thanks, Mark

It's not a runner at the moment. The PO thinks the head gasket went away. The goo on the dipstick tells me something went amiss in there.

The PO had the car for around 10 years and took very good care of it. It's straight, complete and nice looking.

I'll have pix later today.

Mudge

'79 X is a victim...

...of Calif smog law.
Specifically, Calif requirement that OE smog "equipment" be in place.
Worse, "equipment" is required to function.
Not good enough to just pass a sniffer test.

I believe conversion to FI and then getting car refereed
would be easier than attempting to find '79 smog equipment.
Making smog equipment functional is whole 'nother chore.

Marko's advice is right on...
work around smog nazis with exempt model year.

I thought that '79 was just gonna be a heart donor to your '74?

Back