color of top

Baxter805

1984 X19
I thought all X's had the black targa top, but recently saw one on ebay that said certain years and certain colors were painted body color- Does anyone know what years and colors these were? I have a Silver 84 X, which has a silver top, and I though previous owner painted, but perhaps it came from the factory this way?:hmm:

You sure ?

I'd tend to disagree with that as a general statement. See this review from 1985. I think some models, such as the IN in Europe, had body coloured roof.

I thought that at least some, if not all, of the very late US cars had body colored roofs. Or maybe it was an option, because I somehow remember seeing it mentioned on window stickers.

///Mike

Yes, the special series like IN, LTD, VS and some colors of the late Bertones have body colored roofs.
The late Bertones have also body colored engine lids...

Typ_K_2.jpg

Yes, they did come that way...

I had an '84... Silver/black... it had a silver roof panel, which was also smooth... not textured as with the typical black ones.

I'm not sure of all the years where this was done, but I know '84 was one of them.

The targa on my 86 is body color!!!

Of course, the car is black. :)

Below is a scan of a 1984 magazine article where they compared the (then new) Fiero to the "Bertone" X1/9... Notice that the top is body color... (sorry about the image quality)

scan0057.jpg

On my 84, with 2 tone paint.

The top matches the bottom colour of the body. My car is white on top with the dark grey on the bottom. The top is not smooth, and is definitely original.

Related question

Does anyone know when Bertone started using the black trim to replace the chrome around the front window, sail panel and doors? I know the last of the Bertones had black trim along with the black bumpers and body coloured engine cover, but did not have the colour matched tops. (At least the ones that made it to Australia in 1988/89) Cheers, Terry

The black bumpers were used since ~1984. But not only, the chrome bumbers were used also especially for European cars. AFAIK the UK cars had all chrome bumbers.

The black trims were used since they add the black sidepanels on door. This was since production month 4.86 and VIN ~160000
Typ_J_3.jpg

Have a look to the German Bertone X1/9 Club website...
http://www.bertonex19.de/x-story_fiat.htm

Thanks Dierk,

Great information and photos. The only cars to have the black trim in Australia are the 88/89 models. Only a few of these cars were imported. Around 50 I believe, and among the last ones produced. I did not realise this black trim was stock until a mate purchased an 88 Bertone (exactly like the red one in your photo) and we compared the differences with my 82. It must have been a cost cutting solution on the later models? Cheers, Terry

Back