coolant leak from pump?

I can't verify this leak anymore. Last night I fired it up to move it 10 feet into the garage and it left a spot under the belt side of the engine. I topped off the tank, burped the rad and fired it up and let it get warm, heater on, no drips, went for drive. No drips. Let sit. No drips. I'm going to burp it a few more times and keep a wary eye on it. Might take a few short hops whilst waiting for pump. hmmmm, you'd think it would leak and stay leaking, but maybe it has to be warm or something.

Didn't you read my Corvette Story???

I truly believe you are using up your "Fair Warning"...

BELIEVE YOUR EYES... you DID have a leak... and guess what... it AIN'T GONNA FIX ITSELF!

You were given your chance... now the ball is in your court!

HA... well, I think I was in my 40's when I threw in...

... the proverbial towel!

My problem was WORSE than yours... as I had an access panel and didn't know it! When I had a belt let go one day on the way to work... I fixed it on the side of the road only after getting a lift home to change out of my suit... buy parts, grab tools and a lift back to replace the belt... drove home, showered and changed back into business attire... and then went to work after lunch.

Could taken 20 minutes had I known!

When I finally found the damn thing and posted it here... about 10 folks admitted the same thing! HA!

I truly believe you are using up your "Fair Warning"...

BELIEVE YOUR EYES... you DID have a leak... and guess what... it AIN'T GONNA FIX ITSELF!

You were given your chance... now the ball is in your court!

Court'n trouble, I am.
Took a 12 mile run. No evidence of leaking. Everything seemed hunky dorey except it ran COOL. Never got above 160. Interesting. Now it is cold here today about 30 but you'd think it reach temp even so. I'll watch and wait for new pump, stay close to home but drive it anyway.
That cold reading is weird though. Makes me doubt the gauge.

Later that evening:
Ride home, same, ran cool but was throwing nice heat from heater. Lost charging though near the end of a 6 mile interstate stint. Voltage meter was down, as soon as I downshifted on the off ramp it came back up. It was raining and wet. I suspect belt slippage still. I'll put the new one on. Maybe I'll park the thing for a few months, no doubt that's what I SHOULD do.

Last edited:
You are indeed courting trouble...

And you have been working hard chasing trouble on this car... and fond most of it.

Now its stalking you... and you are right. You SHOULD park it and really go through it. Take one thing at a time, clean it up, retest and move on to another. I too suspect some wetness causing gauge trouble... but not necessarily the engine temp. You should replace the t-stat when you do the pump also!

Good luck and have a great weekend...

Oh man.... Now I understand why people dread this job... It is WAAAAY easier on a non-AC 1300.

Mine has not leaked a drop in a week. All systems (related to this anyway) appear normal. At least I have the pump on hand if needed (although the wife gave stink eye for buying parts "you don't need"...she doesn't get it).

"part you don't need"...

Mine has not leaked a drop in a week. All systems (related to this anyway) appear normal. At least I have the pump on hand if needed (although the wife gave stink eye for buying parts "you don't need"...she doesn't get it).

Nah, the wives don't get it. It's not a "part you don't need", it's a "part you may not need NOW".

Here's what you do. She no doubt has a hobby, for example my wife likes to scrapbook. She has all kinds of arcane tools and supplies to do this, although she doesn't do it all that often. So just point out to her that she has plenty of stuff that "she doesn't need".

Then duck and run. Plan to stay at a buddies house for a while, or if you have a heated garage, that would be good too. :eek:

Pete

I won't do that.
She actually doesn't have hobbies. I wish she did. I have enough for the both of us and then some. Her hobby, God bless her, is her family (our kids and ME:music:) and she's REALLY good at it.
At least I just recently sold my MG so there's a lot of $$ (that went straight to the family coffers, not my personal funds, I don't have personal funds :eek: it's all ours).
Spending a bit on parts shouldn't make me feel TOO guilty.

HAHAHA... Jeff... How long ya been married now?

I spent many years filling up the OUR money coffers and the HER money coffers... and NOW... I feel NO guilt in having my OWN coffer!

You should also... the kids are educated and gone... always well fed... and what I have in my X over the last 28 years wouldn't but one year's worth of school books!

Take care of yourself and your own well being also... and you can then take better care of your family's!

I'm serious here... yak atcha later...

married 21 years (in Jan.)
I have a tendency to fixate and over do things. Ergo the X fixation for the last 6 months. Sure enjoy it though.
She keeps me grounded (the wife that is). Shudder to think were I'd be without the better half.:eek:
Maybe I should get off this forum for a while and do some shopping (for her), eh?

!

There are so many WORSE things to spend your time on, like gambling, or drinking, or watching too much sports on TV. If your only vice is working on a car, your wife is LUCKY!!!

My philosophy is that if things go bad at work, I can fall back on mechanics to pay the bills. Also, I'll need some fun things to do after I retire to keep me healthy. I have to refine my skills for both of those reasons.

That's the excuses I throw around when I need money from "our" account.

Back