coolant tank bolt size

jvandyke

True Classic
Anyone know off hand which bolt would work for the spot indicated below. PO snapped off the bolt in the normal spot. I can't get it out and rather then mess with it I made a plate to hold the tank and I'll use the next hole up (what's it for anyway? I seem to remember some tanks mounted differently, maybe the metal ones......
None of my spares wanted to thread into it.

coolanttankmount.jpg

Sorry... I don't know the bolt size, but

That hole is not used on the plastic tanks. It was used for the old steel and stainless steel tanks. Note that the hole is empty on my 86 as well:
IMG_0585_s.jpg

Here is a pic of my 78 that I am taking apart right now:
enginebay2.jpg

But it's useable in a late models too ...

I think the bolts were 10mm but I cannot verify.

enginecompartmentlargert7.jpg

...sure...in later models...but...

...only if you're running a stainless tank. No use for it with a plastic bottle that I can think of.

That would be a M6 x 1.00mm thread. Length as required. Common metric size and should be available most any where metric bits are sold.

Might need to clear the threads of paint before installing a bolt, paint in the threads will can cause serious binding, enough to snap off a new bolt if the paint is thick enough. Friction can be an amazing thing.

Bernice

Anyone know off hand which bolt would work for the spot indicated below. PO snapped off the bolt in the normal spot. I can't get it out and rather then mess with it I made a plate to hold the tank and I'll use the next hole up (what's it for anyway? I seem to remember some tanks mounted differently, maybe the metal ones......
None of my spares wanted to thread into it.

coolanttankmount.jpg

Back