Coupla questions...

SpidArman

Collector of wayward cars
Was wondering about some things. Maybe some can answer here....

I have a catalytic converter that may be worn out, but I have to try something before I chuck it. I have an exhaust leak due to some dingaling using some sort of prybar to separate the cat from the muffler. (Not me...) There are a few grooves cut into the surface of the flange from the prying tool. I wanted to know what I could use to fill those grooves to return the surface to flat. I don't wish to remove the cat from the car due to the rust on the other flange on the cat. Do you think that I could use something like JB weld to fill the grooves? Is there something else out there to use in a high heat situation?

The other question I had was.. How do I check the draw on a battery when the car is off? I have a nice multimeter and am not sure I am using it properly. I want to see how many amps or milli amps are being consumed with the car off.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Arman

I doubt you'll find anything that will seal the converter permanently, other than welding (if that's even possible in this situation).

To check the current draw disconnect the negative cable from the battery and connect the ammeter between it and the battery. Make sure to start out using the 10 amp connection on your meter so you don't blow the fuse in the meter if the current draw exceeds the next highest setting.

HTH,

///Mike

A couple of ideas..

Depends on access of course, you may want to use a wire feed welder to fill the grooves and then file down flush.

Or brazing is a good alternative, sorta like soldering but with better materials. You should be able to fill the grooves with some brass, then file down flush. Not sure how long it will last though...

Complete Exhaust

From my 80 X. You can have it if you want it to see if you can use it (or practice on it). Let me know.
Dave

Gasket

Brazing or welding is going to be the best way to go with that, but you'll more than likely have to get it off the car. If nothing else, you need to get down to clean metal or your brazing or welding will just make a messs.

You ought to be able to find an exhaust gasket from some other car that will fit in there and close up your leak.

The cat may not be worth saving though.

Either way, you'll need to get it out. I've been impressed with Kroil. You need to leave it for a while to give it a chance to work its way in, but it should allow you to get the rusty nuts off. If they're really bad you might want to try leaving it sit overnight or longer.

I had to replace a cat on my X1/9 a few years ago, and the only one I could find to fit was $200+ I bought a universal-fit cat through eBay for $50, cut my flanges off the dead cat and welded them on to the new one.

As others have said, and I wholeheartedly agree...

After all these years, the old cat is probably useless. Install a universal as Mr. Wy did, as you don't have the idiotic California laws to contend with... or if yur not a purest and are not inspected... a nice "test pipe" will most certainly do...

(Also, attempting a repair on such a device that heats up and cools so much as a cat would indeed require excellent welding skills...)

And as ///Mike said with the multimeter... and if you note a "draw", start pulling fuses one at a time until the draw stops. That will help you determine where the draw is coming from...

thanks guys!

I will check out those options.

Dave, I will talk to you this week...

Regards,

Arman

Back