Craigslist ad

Rust......

Check the X brace under the car as well as the floors. Also the front trunk battery tray area is a common spot to rust away. Rust is definitely the enemy on an 850.

I wish it was closer as I have been looking for a sound 850 body for a class c Lemons build I have been kicking around for a while.

Mike

I hope you get it, they are great cars, and so much different from an X.

Bob G (an 850 guru btw) is right: check the X brace under the car to see if it is rusted through, battery box. I'd also check under all four wheel wells (especially the front) for rust. Most car had a plastic wheel liner that dried out over the decades and left the wheels unprotected.

Check the front nose by the end of the front trunk, another big 850 rust spot. Look at kingpins as well.

Looks like an early model with the low back seats, the more preferred version I think.

These cars are like 500% easier to work on versus an X1/9, would be a very fun project for you. I have a few parts but nothing major I can give you too, even a top that would be good, as I am switching from black to brown.

Nice find.

If the floors, rocker panels & the underbody X-brace are in decent condition as the body appears to be, I'd say go for it! :) Also check the center crossbrace of the trunk floor, & the leading-edge rail (frame) of the front trunklid (especially near the hinges), both prime spots for rust damage.

The pics are a bit blurry, but places I see worthy of a closer look are the center section of the driver-side lower rocker panel (under the door), the lower rear corner of the passenger-side rocker panel (just in front of the rear wheel) & the upper rear corner of the driver-side rear fender (the part that surrounds the outer corner of the taillight). Might be damage, might just be dirt/leaves/lighting/bad photos.

Judging by the just-barely-visible alloy oil pan cooling fins seen in the photo of the rear, it looks like the car might already have had an "upgrade" from the original early 817cc engine to a later 903cc unit - a plus in your favor. Check the driver-side of the engine block (above/forward of the oil dipstick) for either a "100G" (817cc) or "100GBC" (903cc) number/letter casting.

IMHO, $800 is the perfect price for this car, with a little wiggle-room depending on body damage/rust. If everything checks out ok, an offer of $650-$700 would probably get you the car with a bit left in your pocket for gas/food &/or truck/trailer/dolly rental (if needed). :italia:

You must be thinking of X1/9's & 124 Spiders - the 850's never had plastic wheel-well liners.

Crap! You are correct, I was thinking of a 124. Damn, I hate giving out wrong information. Thanks!

So in light of this Mike, if you see the plastic wheel well liners on the front wheels are in good shape on the car, and have NOT degraded, just walk away, you are looking at the wrong car.

Back