cranking question

pdxgeo

True Classic
When i start SplitPea up each day the cranking is very slow, almost like the battery is dead but i pulled and fully charged it. It always starts so perhaps no big deal but Im worried some day it will not if I dont address whats going on...

90w gear oil inside the motor? LOL
Seriously though, you might have static ignition timing too far advanced or the battery to starter connections are not good (including ground), or the starter itself might be drawing too many amps.

It's probably worth having the battery load tested if it's old. Otherwise, it may be time for a starter rebuild or new starter. I had one behave similarly (got slower and slower over time, periodically not turning at all, even with a new battery). The bushing in the nose of the starter that supports the armature was toast. Swapped starters and it cranked over easily.

Try a different starter...

For years I though my Scorpion starter was a little slow, but it seemed fine otherwise. Earlier this summer it failed suddenly. I swapped in a new starter that I had from a spare engine and it's 5x faster and starts much easier.

Ground?

Make sure you have a nice fat ground wire from the body to the motor....makes a big difference.

Good point. My '78 Rally has a ground cable that picks up one starter mounting bolt and goes to the battery with a body ground in the middle. I don't recall that on earlier cars. They all had the braided ground strap from the trans to the steering rack mountand a separate short ground cable from battery to body.

I have a thick second ground..

that goes from the battery directly to the upper motor mount. Seems to help quite a bit.

Back