Cromadora CD27

rx1900

1981 X1/9
I have a very rare set of 4 Cromadora CD27s. I aquired them back in the mid 70's and had them on first my Fiat 128 and later on my '74 X1/9. I sort of recall they came off an 850 Spyder, but not sure.

Go to www.histowheels.com to see some pics. of them.

The good:

They are 13 x 5.5"
They only weigh 8.7 lbs. each! That's less than 4 kg.
I believe from the weight and vintage that they are magnesium alloy - not aluminum. But I guess I'm not 100 % sure.
They are uncracked, straight, no chips.
They are Fiat hubcentric (58mm) and have steel inserts for stock type Fiat tapered bolts.
They have holes for the locating pegs.
Offset of about 24-25mm.
They even have "BERTONE" cast into the outside rim.
They have aluminum centre caps (I found 2 - still looking for the other 2)

The bad:

They are BADLY in need of cosmetic restoration. Some idiot (me) rattle-canned them gold long ago - most of which is now falling off!

They are certainly a unique looking wheel and draw a lot of attention and comments. Whether you like them or not seems to be very much a matter of personal taste.

I seem to recall that they even came on a mid 70's european only special edition called the " X1/9 Corsa ". I'm sure someone here will drag out a picture. Not sure if they ever actually produced and sold any, or if it was just a show car.

I'm really hoping that someone out there really likes them and has the ability to properly restore them. I think they would look great on an early X1/9 or an 850 Spyder!

I know they are not worth much in their present condition, and in fact I'm really not looking to sell them.

What I am looking for is an interesting trade. I'm restoring an '81 X1/9 and am having difficulty finding some parts. I've come to the conclusion that there are lots of parts out there but all you guys should be on that " Hoarders " tv show. Garages full of parts you'll never use but unwilling to part with!

A partial list would include:
uncracked brown 79-92 dash
glove box door
parchment (light beige) interior door panels, seats, spare tire cover, firewall covering
euro bumpers
74-78 front spoiler
different wheels
74 US or 73-78 euro front turn signals

So, any comments/ interest/ offers ?

Thanks, Doug
img440
img545

picture680.jpg

:eek: I want them!!

*sigh* unfortunately I have none of the parts you need as spares, and don't have the kinda cash you'd want for or possibly what they are worth :censored: Sux because they'd look really nice on my '78 :censored:

Doh

Great wheels, a ton of work to redo.

Going bumperless one might presume.

Last edited:
Update

Hi folks. I have been getting some good interest - via PM - on these wheels. Thanks to all who responded.

I want everyone to know as much as possible about these wheels.
I thought I had posted more pictures with my initial post but I see now that only one came through. I will try again to post some more pics below - but don't be surprized if it takes me more than one post!

If the pics appear, you will see two of the wheels. You will notice that one is better than the other. The other two wheels are similar - that is one more of each like these two. I can take pics of them if you request.

Some people have expressed concern that there will be significant corrosion on the insides of the wheels (under the tire) but happily - as you can see in the pics - there is zero! At least on the three that I can see. The fourth still has a full tire mounted so I can't see but I an sure it is fine.

As you can see, there is some - but not much at all - corrosion on the back sides of the wheels. And when I had a tire dismounted from the one wheel last week the tire machine left some scratches and gouges on the back inside of the one wheel. You can see this in one of the pics.

There is, of course, some significant surface corrosion on the front faces of all the wheels, and is much worse on two of the wheels. I was going to try to restore them myself but didn't know how-to properly - sand blast, glass bead, sand, machine? - so aside from the quick spray can paint job many years ago they are untouched.

By the way, somewhere I had a fifth wheel but I am still looking for it, along with other other two centre caps. I guess I am not sure I will find them.

Everyone has been asking what kind of value I am expecting for the wheels. Most want to buy them and have asked for a cash price. But as I said before, I am really looking for an interesting trade. Maybe you have a 79-82 parts car with a good brown interior but drive an early car or have a black interior, and will admit you have no need for it. Then we would both get something we want for something we no longer need.

As for $ value, it's really tough but.... I figure maybe these wheels in excellent or restored condition are worth maybe $500 - $600. In there present condition I'm thinking - hoping? - dreaming? - undervalueing? - thay are worth maybe ballpark $150 - $200. Most of the PMs I have been getting seem to be hinting in this region, but some seem to assume much higher!

Most of the inquiries seem to be from the USA. As I am in Canada I know shipping can be gross, but I have a shipping address in Niagara Falls, New York. Zip code 14303. Figure the wheels with packaging to be 40 lbs. If you are shipping me back light parts then you may need to factor in a shipping differential to your offer.

Now of course if anyone out there has the parts I am looking for but don't want my wheels, I have cash or lots of other interesting parts to trade!

More than anything I would like to see these wheels go to a good home. To someone with tha ability or means to have them restored to their former glory. I'd be interested to know what car you intend to use them on, and will take that into account with your offer. And would definately appreciate an "after" photo when they are done.

If you intend to use them on an X1/9 please take note: I had them on my '74 with 165/70 tires and they fit fine. I think on the rear you could use up to a 205/60 with no mods. On the front, however, anything larger than a 165/70 could be tricky. I think perhaps fitting a 185/60 would require a small spacer (maybe 3/8" or so) to avoid the tire hitting the spring perch. If you have coilovers you would be fine. I believe these wheels have about the same offset as most of the factory alum wheels (CD91, Trons, etc)? - the same clearance issues apply.

I had them on my 128 - with I recall 185/70 - and they fit fine.

If you intend to use them on anything else (850, 124, etc) I'm afraid I can't guide you. I have given you the size and offset so be your own judge.

Sorry to ramble on for so long here, but I want to be as up front as possible and avoid too many lengthy PMs.

Thanks again, Doug
img130

picture675.jpg

picture674m.jpg

img163

img130

picture677t.jpg
picture678j.jpg
picture688e.jpg
picture676v.jpg

Back