Custom gauge cluster

mike3487

1980 X
So I started working on the instrument cluster for my X. I am going to use marshall instrument gauges with black bezel I have been playing around with the layout and think I am pretty close to the final now, I built it on my computer because once I am done I am going to water jet out the panel. I did a mock up tonight of the layout I used my plotter and cut out the cut file and it needs a little tweaking but I think it will look pretty good all said and done what do you guys think? I also built a 3d model of it because I was bored in lecture. the gauges light up both white and red depending how I wire them

the gauges will be from left to right
Volt, Speedo, Tach, Fuel Water temp Oil Pressure, Oil temp
dash.jpg

Screenshot2011-03-11at30414AM.png

Screenshot2011-03-10at82730PM.png

194461_10100298618947168_13729496_58891576_6620648_o.jpg

176835_10100298618827408_13729496_58891574_2042125_o.jpg

... layout

... looks nice!

Did you consider digital gauges for the water, oil press and oil temp?
A red display might go fine with the veglia clock?

Another alternative is 6 gauges in the main pod:

two on the left (one above the other), then speedo, tach and two on the right (again one above the other).

Maybe digital in that case, for the two at either end and sweep for the speedo/tach.

As far as the choice goes, it's not like you are building it for the masses. In the end it's your custom approach for your own requirements.

In any case, I like the look and the cleaner layout you have in mind.

Nice work and looks like a nice bit of planning and plotting!

Very cool...

Here's another idea for ya -
Look on eBay for Item # 120674782041

Also, you can find oil / water gauges that are combined, saving you space in your dash.

Here's another, weird shape but you get the idea: Item # 300463937679

-Just ideas...

Great looking dash ideas from you guys BTW!

yea i was thinking about digital gauges originally but i think it would look out of place in the X so i am going with these. they have peak and low recall and have built in warning lights in the gauge, i can program it so the entire gauge face flashes when a value gets too low or high, and they are sold as a set on ebay for $400 the only gauge i wanted not in the kit was the oil temp which is why i ordered it first to see the quality of these gauges before I spent the 400

What is the thread for the oil sensor?

... a lot of aftermarket gauges come with a 1/8 NPT thread for the sensors, oil temp/oil pressure. What is the thread size used on the X?

And here's another eBay item to look at - 130448081182.
Red digital readouts ...

I like the sweep gauges you've selected; seems fitting for the era.

Last edited:
Mike if/when I make my template for a Ferrari style shift gate, could you possible bang it out on the water-jet for me? I have a piece of aluminum to be used.

vary cool Mike

That's cool mike. Hey mike and willy I have a digital with blue liting water temp and voltage gauge for sale. I will be putting in the for sale section of the forum asap.

Back