CV Bolts

willrace4beer

True Classic
I've heard that there's a 12-point bolt, from VW, that can be used for the X, but it's a little too short. Has anyone found a 12-point bolt that works?

Rabbit

The Rabbit bolts work fine. They are slightly longer than the OE Fiat bolts. You can grind about 1/8th inch off the ends and they work fine. I have used them on several occasions.

It's a bit more complex than just a part number.

The stock X1/9 CV joint bolts are M8x1.25, 45mm long, grade 12.9 The VW, 86mm bolt circle CV joint bolts are also M8x1.25, 45-50mm long, grade 12.9. The difference between the FIAT vs VW bolts are the FIAT bolts are 6mm internal hex -vs- VW are 12 point internal double hex. These do have a slightly lower tendency to strip out when wrenched, otherwise, there is no real difference.

M8 x 1.25, 45mm long internal hex, grade 12.9 bolts are commonly available.

I have a stock of MS21250 bolts (12 point) proper length for Lancia or similar 86mm bolt circle CV joint and drive flange bolts complete with the proper MS20002C countersunk washers and 12 point nuts. Every real race or high performance car using CV joint has this bolt, washer, nut joint design. Threaded flanges are a no-no.

The problem with the stock CV joint bolts (identical problem with VW and etc..), they are threaded into the drive flange. This is why they can get loose. The Lancia designed and built the CV joint and driver flanges properly. Lancia even used the correct bolts, nuts and washers which is why these don't get loose.

If these bolts are for a stock X1/9 transaxle, we could take a set of drive flanges, ream out the M8 threaded holes, face the back side of the flange flat and use the proper NAS bolts with nuts and washers on the far side.

There is not enough space between the transaxle and upright to drive flange to use the MS21250 bolts as their heads are too tall.

A12 point bolt does not imply high strength, high quality or a "better bolt". It's just a head style and not much more unless the specifications are known and certified.

Bernice

I've heard that there's a 12-point bolt, from VW, that can be used for the X, but it's a little too short. Has anyone found a 12-point bolt that works?

I just like the 12 point heads

Bernice is correct. I swapped most of my cars over to the VW bolts (12 point heads) because they were easy to find, cheap and don't strip.

I never had any problems with any of the CV bolts loosening. But then I always use an impact when I put them in.

Back