CV joint boot, yes that one...

budgetzagato

Administrator
Finally finished my weekend project today, CV joint boot replacement. This is the boot near the exhaust. I finally noticed mine was split (how did I miss that?) and was successful substituting a Strada boot (took a bit of effort) in it's place. Washed the joint in my parts washer and repacked it with CV joint grease.

Now to fabricate a heat shield so I don't have to do this every year. The stock heat shield doesn't quite fit over the header exhaust and since I'm not 100% certain I'll have a stock exhaust in place in time for Ore'12 track day I want to ensure I don't cook the new boot.

New boot in place:
IMG_3171.jpg

Old boot, seems to have problems...
IMG_3172.jpg

Added a heat shield today...

Pouring rain today, so I went to the garage with a cup of coffe... Created a heat shield to protect the new inner right CV boot. I modeled it after the stock one that doesn't fit over the header pipes, but added length to the "legs" to reach the needed extra amount to mount in the stock location. I used some leftover galvalume roofing metal from when we built our house in 2005.
IMG_3173.jpg

After test fitting I decided it needed to have a 3" tab on the bottom to extend even farther to further protect the boot. Added this tab to the shield with stainless rivets.
IMG_3177.jpg

This interfered with what looks like an exhaust bracket tab on the header and so I trimmed it even farther, to about 2.5" of extension.
IMG_3179.jpg

I still have to test drive it to see how it fits with engine movement. :confuse2:

Yes and no...

I have a brake tool for 1" flanges that was made for metal roofing applications, but it's only 12" long. For this I used a chunk of 2x4 and my hands, and the hand brake tool.

I dressed the edges on my belt sander and wiped the resulting flashing with a sanding sponge. I hate sharp edges in the engine bay! :mad4:

Just did the same thing...

...replaced a boot cooked by header.
Previously fabbed a heat shield,
and had pressed the smallest (cooked) rib together,
and sealed with bead of RTV. Worked fine for long time.
But with tranny swap in progress,
and spare boot on hand, decided to make it right.

I hate snap rings!
Amazing how few oz of grease can cover
an entire workbench wassling with those buggers.

Back