Dang, broke a roof strap hinge...

budgetzagato

Administrator
What are folks doing to repair these that doesn't involve $300? I've seen one or more cars with tiny metal hinges, looked good. Perhaps in stainless?

Other news, the Bertone is sold pending a deposit etc. and so soon I can pay more attention to the Scorpion. Been cleaning the glass and lighting. Man, some people sure let their cars get dirty.

Took my daughter for her first ride in the Son of Zippy Car and she liked it but also had fun making a to-do list for me. The funny part is we got partway down the road and some tools I left on the wipers slid down to the cowl... stopped to fetch them and a neighbor coming the other way spotted us and honked hello!

A guy on the yahoo scorp list...

named Mike (aka Guido aka Harfkanarf) did a little pictoral write-up on how he fixed his straps with a small metal hinge. If you join that group you would be able to access that write-up.

When my straps started falling apart, I opted for the fiberglass double bubble top. I got mine from Jason Greenwood but I'm not sure he's in the business anymore.

Pete

Double Bubble Top

Scott Hay here in the Chicago area is currently producing the top and the bumpers. I'm considering going with the Double Bubble top myself.

Thanks...

Looked for the writeup but didn't find it, I'll contact Mike directly.

How does one store the hardtop when underway?

There are actually at least four versions of the hard top:

The first was Caribou's plexiglass insert. It slipped in with the soft top rolled up:
Plexitop.jpg

Next came my original 037 replica double bubble top designed to completely replace the hard top and the two straps like on the 037:
P7190447.jpg

The Monte Hospital made a similar one that utilized the two straps and the hinged rear panel. The soft top could be left in tact. I believe it fits in the front trunk:
MonteHT.jpg

Scott H made a similar two piece top that replaced the hinged soft top with a fiberglass panel:
P1010116.jpg
P1010110.jpg

The Monte Hospital made a similar one that utilized the two straps and the hinged rear panel. The soft top could be left in tact. I believe it fits in the front trunk...

I can confirm that it does indeed fit in the front trunk... And it's cat proof!

Big.jpg

It's not the precision fit you get with an X top, but with a little sideways jiggling, it stows well enough.

John O.

straps are worth it

I tried several repairs of the straps on my '77 - and all of them failed eventually. The fiber reinforced straps are a forever-fix. So, while I realize they are probably the most expensive part you'll ever put on a scorpion, you'll never have to do it again. My $.02

The fiber reinforced straps are a forever-fix. So, while I realize they are probably the most expensive part you'll ever put on a scorpion, you'll never have to do it again.

Completely agree. Expensive, but well worth it!

John O.

The top that I make will fit under the front but it is not very intuitive on how it fits. The top needs to fit over the left strut tower. I have put one in the front of my own car and it fits just fine. You need to remember to put a thin piece of foam over the top because over bumps it will hit the trunk lid.

Scott

PS - I am ending my run on the fiberglass parts (tops, bumpers, nose bands) as we speak. I will make a post about it when I can link some photos.

Back