Dash brake light question

Felipe

Low mileage
My instrument cluster brake light is on constantly. The entire brake system is relatively new, the car stops straight and true, there are no fluid leaks and the fluid level is fine.

Before I begin chasing ghosts I was curious if anyone has had a similar experience or has any advise.

As always, thanks in advance.

Hand brake is fully released. Sadly I have not had opportunity to order my "bible" as of yet.

I do think the issue my be with the hand brake though.

Cheers back your way.

have you checked the link?

that is the bible online. I will have a look tomorrow. Maybe I can give you some direction.

Actually Felipe...

You wanna go here:

http://www.lemley.net/electric/bertone_schematic/bertone_4.png

All the reading material you need is ONLINE...

The link Torbin gave you... and this one also:

http://www.lemley.net/electric/bertone_schematic/

Which is the contents page and will help with MOST '81 and later cars. If you have an earlier model, let me know and I'll try and get you a proper schematic.

Here is one other if you have an FI car:

http://www.angelfire.com/wa2/fits/index.html#ljetguide

For that light to light... GROUND is applied either by the fluid level switch on the cap on the Brake Fluid reservoir... or by the switch for the E-Brake.

You need to DIVIDE and CONQUER... and I suggest first pulling the White/Black wire off the cap on the reservoir. If the light goes out... then that is the problem. If not... its somewhere in the E-Brake circuit.

Happy hunting... keep in touch.

Like Tony says...

There are the two possible grounds for the dash warning light.

One is from the brake fluid reservoir car low level switch. Unplug the wires from the cap, if the light goes out there's your problem.

If the light stays on, look at the switch under the parking brake handle. One phillips head screw holds and grounds it to the chassis. The switch can jam, not get activated by the handle when it's down, or the wire can come off the back and ground out somewhere below.

Shouldn't be too hard to figure out. Good luck.

One more in the early cars

There are the two possible grounds for the dash warning light.

One is from the brake fluid reservoir car low level switch. Unplug the wires from the cap, if the light goes out there's your problem.

If the light stays on, look at the switch under the parking brake handle.

Early cars may not have a low-level switch in the reservoir, but will have a connection to the distribution block next to the master cylinder under the dash. A bad connection here can also cause this problem.

Thank you Tony and Greg. Your direction and information supplied is greatly appreciated.

I know I'm repeating myself but the amount of collective knowledge on this board and willingness to help one another is just unbelievable.

Ha... we just hate to see suffering...

... and believe me... we've all been there!

Just do us the favor of "moving forward" and taking advantage of our efforts to save you time, trouble and money. Then status us... as this is our only reward!

Hopefully you will NOT reach a sad point in life as most of us have... and fixate on stupid stuff like this!

HAHAHAHA!

!

My brake light stays on unless I really jamb the parking brake lever down really hard. I need to adjust it. But it's not real high on the priority list.

Back